14 replies to this topic

#1 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

I posted a while back that I could possibly get early retirement from my company. Well, it's finally come true - I leave work at the end of May with enough money to live on until my pension kicks in.

Also, we saw a plot of land last time we were over that is absolutely ideal for us and got confirmation today from my building society that I can extend the mortgage to cover the purchase so will be sending the deposit over shortly. It's a few kilometres inland from Kalyves in a nice Greek village - we stayed there last time and will be again when we're over in June (from 10th-17th June).

When we move over will depend on selling our house in the UK, but will put it on the market when we get back from holiday. At least I'll have the time to clear the house of all the accumulated clutter over the years and make it look good.

Feeling very excited now!

Pam & Bob

#2 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

Wow, congratulations! Looking forward to hearing how things are proceeding!

All the best of luck with your "new life"! :D

Dinny

#3 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

Pam & Bob - So happy for you both C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!! We're out in June, day after you, for a long weekend, want to try to meet up this time?

#4 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

Congratulations Pam & Bob

#5 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

Thanks all for your good wishes and I'll keep you updated on progress - might well start a blog up when I have more time.

Yes, Laid Back Lil - would certainly like to meet up with you this time. I may well have a different mobile number, though as my current phone belongs to work, so will need to be handed back. I'll let you know by PM nearer the time.

Pam & Bob

#6 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:26 AM

Hi Pam & Bob,

I'm very pleased for you & extremely jealous!!!
I'll also be in Crete, at my place in June, 8th to 28th.

Good Luck with your move.

Ros.

#7 muzzy

muzzy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

all the best to you both we have freinds at chokino horio and we are at georgiopoulis its agreat place to be i am sure you will love it jsut be prepared to get into the cretian mode and you will be fine

#8 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:35 PM

Great news :D redundancy was THE best thing that happened to me and it sounds like it will be good news for you too.

Definitely the basis of a good blog - there are bound to be loads of highs and lows as you get to grips with Cretan workmen (or lack of them).

Most people will tell you to sort out local medical services etc - our advice is make good friends with a plumber!!!

See you in Crete, :D
Kritsa Yvonne

#9 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

Here we are in the middle of May - you must be on COUNT DOWN mode now! :D

#10 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

Thanks all, again. Yes, Lil, in count down mode now - 8 more working days to go before I become a lady of leisure (actually not quite - first task on the plan is to clear my office at home of 10 years of rubbish, that'll take me the best part of a week!) After I leave work only 10 days to go before we're back in Crete.

Looks like our purchase of the land is going smoothly - sent off the balance on Friday, just waiting to hear it's been received and then the contracts can be signed. Hopefully we've got an architect lined up and will be talking to her when we're over in June.

Pam & Bob

#11 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hi Pam & Bob and Congratulations on achieving your dream. We both wish you the best of luck, and hope it all goes well for you, and yes, we are just a little bit jealous. We are currently planning to be in Crete in late September and hope to fetch up in Kalives at some point. I would like to send you a PM, but now you are not working will it reach your email? We lost our internet connection in November and most of our hard-drive, so if anyone has been posting messages, we won't have received them. But we have now re-registered with our new email address.

Sorry, we could not spend more time with you on our last trip but Dad was quite unwell, more so than we realised at the time. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer in December and passed away on New Year's Eve. I expect you will be making frequent trips to the Kalives area in the near future and we would love to meet up again if you are around in late September.
Best love to all Crete-o-philes.

Mike & Jane

#12 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hi, Mike & Jane - very sorry to hear about your father, but I'm sure you're happy that you had that last holiday together.

I'm just going to change my e-mail address on this forum, so messages will reach me. However, I'm no longer going to be spending 9 hours a day on my PC (hurrah!), so may not pick up e-mails quickly.

I expect we'll be out sometime in September or October, but haven't booked anything yet.

The contracts have been signed on the land, so we're planning to sit there and crack open a bottle of bubbly shortly after we get there - it'll be wonderful to know it's all ours. I had a bit of fun on my last day as I was chairing an on-line conference and opened it up by sharing the web-cam of Chania harbour - told everybody we'd be living just over those hills ( I could hear them going green with envy).

Will keep people posted on progress.

Pam & Bob

#13 mikegee

mikegee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hi Pam & Bob

It's good to read your story to date and hope all goes well to completion.

We also bought nearly two years ago in a village inland from Kalives - Neo Chorio. We are almost at the end of the formalities which seem to go on for ever. We will be coming out in a fortnight for a month and again in September and October and maybe our paths will cross sometime.
If we can be of any help don't hesitate to ask

Mike and Colleen

#14 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hi, Mike & Colleen - Neo Chorio is the village where we've bought the plot of land. It's in the valley, near the first church on the right as you come into the village. If you're about when we're there (10th- 17th June, leaving am 18th), we'd be pleased to meet up. We're staying in the village, up the hill from the square.

Pam & Bob

#15 mikegee

mikegee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

Hi Pam and Bob

I thought it was Neo Chorio from your description.

We arrive late on the 16th but it would be good to meet up just before you leave. If you send us a PM we can then make the arrangements.

Mike and Colleen