#1 Daly

Daly

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:14 AM

Hi there,
I will be in Crete in June/July 2009 for my 4th visit.
We generally hire a car for 3 weeks and have nearly covered all of the island.
This trip going back to Paleohora, then taking the car ferry to Sougia and hopefully Loutro before heading to Chora Skafion and Plakias.

Does anyone know if you take your vehicle on the ferry to Loutro if there is a parking area. I know there are no roads but would like to spend some time in Loutro
if I can park the car somewhere.

many thanks

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

Contrary to popular belief motor vehiciles can be found in Loutro. I thought that the raki was responsible for me seeing a car moving about one night but it turned out not to be my imagination. But, before you get too excited Daly, I have to tell you that it was one pick up that went a few yards up and down a very small piece of road from the ferry to the hotel carrying baggage. No turn around, just forward one trip, backwards the next. On the other side , the east side, I did see a ferry drop of the refuse lorry and that stayed on a plinth for a while whilst it was loaded and then went off on the next ferry.
I am afraid that I would not expect any other vehicles to be allowed off the ferry at Loutro- its too much of a precedent apart from anything else.
I think you will have to take it to Hora Sfakion, park it and go back to Loutro as a for passenger. It will be worth it.

#3 Daly

Daly

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:31 AM

Dear Tim,
thank you for the information re Loutro.
I have stayed at Paleohora before, however, this trip plan to stay at Sougia and Loutro.
Looks as though I will park the car and come back to Loutro.
I would be interested on any opinions you have re accommodation in either port.
Many thanks
Colin

#4 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

Colin
I have never stayed in Hora, I inevitably come up from Plakias, only about an hours drive when you know it. I usually stay with my old friend Agaia at Pension Kiriakos in Plakias, Clean basic rooms at the very top of the street with the doctors surgery off the main beach road. I think it was Kri Kri that we stayed in at Loutro but to be honest we took what we could find and I am sure most are fine. If Julie F spots this she may make recommendations- she knows Loutro better than most.
I've often thought about staying at Frankocastello, close to Hora S but with better swimming!
Frankly though, I reckon its difficult to go wrong around either port, as you know, you can take a look at what's on offer before accepting. The only problem would be findidng a room in Loutro at certain times of the year - but given the credit problems and how they will reflect upon travel, I don't suppose it will be a great issue at any other time than when the Greeks are on holiday.