3 replies to this topic

#1 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Can anyone tell me if the farmers blockades are now finished? I heard the roads to/from Chania were blocked, then more big towns etc right across to Heraklion and yesterday I heard the blockades had even spread to mainland. From what I understand (fourth-hand) the olive farmers are asking for more money for their olive oil as the shops are earning loads more selling it. Is this correct?

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

Hi Lily, hi Lily, hi lo,

The best thing I could do for you is sending this latest copy of the Ekathimerini

Take care, when are you leaving?

:unsure:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

Hi Lil,

The blockades were certainly still going on last Sunday. I understand that the worst of them were over Chania/Rethymon way. However I know from personal experience that the farmers were blockading the main highway from Heraklion near to Gazi & at the Pantanassa bridge. This if you don't know it is about 10 kms from Heraklion heading towards Rethymon. This was one of the blockades that was operating 24 hours a day. When I left there was no petrol or diesel available in Heraklion, the storage tanks are the other side of the blockade.

You're correct in that the farmers are blockading due to the price that they're receiving for their olives this year. I was told that they're getting €1 or just under for a kilo & they're being sold on for around €7.

Ros.

#4 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hi Ros - yes pretty disgusting isn't it! Thanks for the info. Hi Wim - not for a while, but I've got someone visiting my house and they have been unable to get there due to the road blocks.