Photo

Hello From The Soutwest (usa, That Is...)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jyes

Jyes

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

Hi, everyone,
I live in Arizona but I do volunteer work for a Greek-American entertainer (Constantine Maroulis) who loves to use his grandparents' native language. I occasionally need help in translating the Greek expressions he posts on our website for his fans.

For instance, I know "xronia polla" is a general greeting, but I would like to know how to respond to it.
I speak (and teach) French and Spanish and English and am learning Italian but I'm sorry to say, I don't know much Greek.. yet.

Thanks!
Judy

#2 hondaboy294

hondaboy294

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

Hello Judy,

It looks like the reason you haven't had a reply since January is because 'xronia polla' may not be correct in spelling. This sounds close but until I can find out more, this is the greeting for namedays... khroneea pola, means best wishes. The underline indicates an accent. :D

Good Morning = Kaleemera

Good afternoon = Kaleespera

Good night = Kaleeneekhta

Hello = Kherete

Goodbye = Kherete/ Ya sas/ Andeeo

Excuse me = Parakalo (for getting attention)

Sorry = Seeghnomee

Thank you = Efkhareesto (often shortened to 'sto')

Please = Parakalo

Okay = Endaksee

My name is = Leghome - Judy

How are you = pos eese

Try this... Kaleemera Constantine, pos eese?

More later ;)

Regards

Chris

#3 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Well, after three years in Crete I have at least learned that "Xronia polla" is something you say EVERY time there is something to celebrate. It litterally means "a lot of years" and you use this greeting with everybody whenever there is a name day to celebrate, birthday, epifania (sorry about the spelling, it's 6th of January), any holiday except from Easter where the greating is "Christos anesti" (of something like that!!!) meaning Christ has arisen. Oh my goof, I'm not able to write Greek, I'm not able to write English... I hope I don't loose my Danish also, then I'll be out of work!! ;)

Quickly adding that the answer is the same! An answer to Xronia polla is Xronia polla!