#1 Kreta&Me

Kreta&Me

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

Hi all,

for all those that want or need to brush up their Greek. I discovered a new free online Greek Translation service. Looks useful to me.

Regards!

#2 Al(Kiwi)

Al(Kiwi)

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:57 AM

Hi I used to use this and others when I produced a Greek/English newsletter for our Community. Luckily my wife is Greek & she was able to sort out many flaws in the translation.
One I remember was the word for 'bar' where you can buy your drinks. It translated this for an iron bar or rod. This caused some laughs when we missed picking it up in the newsletter. Still it was helpful in a lot of cases. Luckily for me I no longer have to produce that newsletter.

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hi Al, yes one shouldn't use the translator in Babylon pro. It brings up rubbish.
For an online word translator it works fine though. You can even copy/paste the words into your message which saves a lot of fumbling..

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 ofriis

ofriis

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

Hello, I'm new on this forum, had to register when I found this thread. I bought the Babylon translator last year and found it quite useful, but wasn't able to judge the quality of the translation. First I installed it on my work computer (in my home office). Then I installed the software on another computer at home with the intention to move it there. Then it became clear that they monitored my computers and prompted me to pay for the software once more. I didn't mean to violate their rules, but it was not possible to get it right again. Then I found a forum on the Internet where many angry Babylon users told their stories similar to mine, so I decided to uninstall Babylon completely and forget about them (unable to find the forum again now). Who knows what they were monitoring on my computers? Now I'm happy with the Google translator. It's not perfect at all but at least I can get the meaning of a sentence in Greek.
That was my experience with Babylon. :angry: