6 replies to this topic

#1 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

How disappointed I was to learn that recently there have been a fair numer of burglaries in my area in Crete. It is such a shame. It's not the Greeks, it's not the English, or the many nationalities that have made Crete their home. The local Mayor has asked for more police for the area, who should be arriving end September. The allocation of police is handled by the ministry of the interior in Athens apparently. A number of people are quite worried, and it's such a shame that a beautiful village and it's surrounding area is being targeted. We heard through the grapevine that 'some nasty people' watch customers draw out monies at the cash points and then follow them in their cars, sometimes back to the villas they either own or rent. Then these nasties go to the local tavernas/cafenias and wait. When they see the people they have watched recently come to eat/drink they know the villa is empty and they go and break in. There have even been a cases where burglaries are taking place at about 5 am and the occupants of the villa wake to find someone has been in while they have been asleep. In the local paper they are asking owners not to take any action as they could get hurt or find themselves in dire situations. The advice they are giving is: ALWAYS LOCK YOUR DOORS, NEVER LEAVE WINDOWS OPEN, CHANGE THE LOCAKS IMMEDIATELY ON NEW PROPERTIES, IF YOU HEAR AN ALARM GOING OFF - RING THE POLICE DON'T IGNORE IT, COMMUNICATE WITH NEIGHBOURS, AND LEAVE EXTERIOR LIGHTS ON.
How sad eh? ;)

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

Hi Lil,

I've been waiting with my comment to give others the possibility to act.
It's a bloody shame. Do you know of any nationality these "visitors have"? I can't imagine they're Cretan s.

I remember a line spoken by "The Major" (Stephan Greiff) in "Who Pays The Ferry Man when he looked at the mess a burglar had caused in the house where Alexandros lived.

"It are not only friendly holiday makers that embark on the quays and tarmacs of Crete..." and that was in 1977.

I'm afraid its not only the Russian Mafiosi which are attracted to Crete but also their former satellites.

;)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Mike Esson

Mike Esson

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

After just returning from Crete I remember chatting to local people about security etc and my feelings are relatively opptimistic. Before visiting i read reports about a crime wave from the Balkans infecting the island. I imagined dirty bunches of individuals on the prowl making life difficult for tourists wishing to camp / sleep under the stars in the open countryside as i do myself. After meeting many Greeks and Balkan Europeans alike, i was pleasantly surprised how there is a healthy acceptance between each other. I'm not sure if my situation was typical, but i nevertheless heard nice stories about how hardworking and earnest the Serbs, Bulgarians and Albanians were. If a number of visitors are in Crete for the wrong reasons then i imagine the 1st people glad to see the back of them will be fellow nationals livid about them harming their good work. These meeting took place around Rethymno so i'd be interested to see if other parts of the island have had different experiences.
Village people i met take pride in not taking securuty measures except for the most important one. This being community spirit where people look after each other in a non-obtrusive way.
Looking forward to putting down home from home roots when we move in sept.2009, Mike, Katka, Robbie and Danny from Olomouc, Czechlands.

#4 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

HI Mike, I agree. However, where ever you live/go there are always a few (and I mean just a few) that spoil it for everyone else. I can still enjoy sitting in a bar in Crete with my handbag on the chair next to me knowing it is very unlikely that anyone will take it - something I cannot do here in my home country - I have to put the leg of the chair around the handle of my bag and put it on my lap!!! In Crete I can leave my car door unlocked when I go to the shop or visit a friend, here I have to lock the car otherwise someone will take something from it within the hour! With the credit crunch affecting a lot of countries, crime is on the increase whether we like it or not. Break ins, shop-lifting, whether abroad or at home are a common occurrence when the job situation is getting worse with companies and factories closing at an alarming rate in some areas, houses being repossessed and the cost of living rising rapidly. I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better, but it will get better eventually we hope....and in the meantime we have to help each other and like you say, community really matters in these circumstances.

#5 Eoin

Eoin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

Sounds like there's a need for some Big Dogs to stand by when the apartment is not occupied....even a little noisy dog would probably suffice - also I would have an aluminum little league bat or Nine Iron within reach after hours.......better be a big ass burglar(s) or he'd have his gray matter re-arranged ....... don't know about Greek Law but I would assume if U splatter a burglar inside your residence there's minimum paperwork....to hell with waiting for the police to arrive....they'll just put a chalk line around yer carcass.

#6 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:22 PM

I've heard similar things down here in the South and, as you say, it is very disappointing! But these things are definitely being done by the few rotten apples which occasionally show up here.
I have very big confidence in the community sorting this out though. In some strange way it seems that unwanted foreigners get an offer they can't refuse to leave the place. I'm not getting into details - but it seems to work out just fine!

My door is still unlocked... but I have two dogs to tell me if anybody is testing it! ;)

#7 ChileDog

ChileDog

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hello everyone,

I don't know if anyone remembers me but I used to post as "Chile" back in 2006/07. I was stationed at Souda Bay during that time. Man, what is it about this place that stays on your mind once you experience it. I was not your typical servicemen that came here and hung in American alley for entertainment. I totally embraced this island, it's beauty, innocence, and tradition. I have time and again tried to explain to folks across my path what a jewel this place is. Of particular note was the fact of how safe it was to live here. I mean everyplace has it's problems but per-capita, I believe Crete to be the most safe place I have ever lived. Once in Herronisis (spelling? sorry), a brand new Ipod (an expensive one), my wallet, and some change fell out of my pocket on a tram (okay..I had a few). As I was walking about 1/2 of a mile away, a man came running up to me to return these items he found on the tram. WOW! I tried to pay him a reward but he wouldn't hear of it. You just don't see this anymore. My mind is contiually allured to this lovely place on our great planet.

I have vowed to visit Crete again one day. Preferably to live.

Good to see names I still remember here , Dinny, Tinks, and of course Yannis.

Chile ;)