#1 nateinwex

nateinwex

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:03 AM

Hey all,

Just back from hols in Crete and Id like to go back year to work in Hersonnissos!

Some questions:

- Reps told me they only get 25 euro per night working there! Is accommodation/food included in this?

- As a barman, would I need experience? I have a friend who is going to let me work in his bar for a few months -- but is this enough?

- How much is accommodation per week approx (in Hersonnissos)?

- When should I arrive to get the 'best' jobs? I hear early May is good...

- Any other tips?

- Also, are there any walk-in gyms near the area?

Thanks!

#2 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:15 AM

No idea about rep work but I'd guess that they get accommodation included or if they've been going to the same area for a few years, may rent an apartment between 2 or 3 of them. Remember that when they say that they get 25 euro per night, that probably includes the airport duty which can be a 12 hour shift on top of a shift either before or after that.

Some bars might give you accommodation & food if they have that but the majority of places don't do that - but they may know someone that provides accommodation (at a cost). If they do you are likely to get less pay. Don't forget that while you might get bar work at night, you might also be expected to do split shifts and you're likely to have to work up to 12 hours for the 20/25 euros

I guess it depends what kind of bar you work in, whether you need the experience or not. There's no harm in working in your friend's pub.

Can't help with weekly accommodation costs but there are probably 'workers' apartments at reasonable prices.

Locals and expats that live in Crete permanently will probably get the 'best' jobs as they will get them before the season starts. Depending on what kind of bar you work in, you might get a job in early May or it might be a later start. I know in Malia some of the clubs and bars in Beach Road don't open until sometime in June and will usually shut towards the end of September.

Maybe someone who lives in/visits Hersonnissos will be able to give you a better idea of accommodation and availability of gyms.

#3 Athena

Athena

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi

My daughter had been a rep for 5 years up till this year. She applied and trained for the job in England, before coming out to Greece. The holiday companies recruit around now for next year. She was paid about a £100 - £125 per week with free accommodation + commission, UK tax and NI paid. Was very hard work and very long hours. Transfer reps got about 25 euro a day, paid locally.

This year she decided on a change and is working in a bar in Stalis. She arrived on 12th May on a cheap package and had no problem finding a job, with IKA paid and all the (compulsory) health checks paid for. She has changed jobs twice with no problem. It helped that she is young, enthusiastic, hardworking and attractive, and has 5 years experience of the Greek culture. She had little previous bar work experience, but is a quick learner! Going rate seems to be 30 euro a day, regardless of how many hours worked. She very seldom gets a day off. Accommodation - a small studio costs her 300 euro a month.

Hope this info is useful

Athena

#4 nateinwex

nateinwex

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

Thank you, you were very helpful! B)

It is a dream of mine to spend at least one summer in Crete working. I dont mind hard work as long as it's fun! :)

Sure beats the rainy summers here in Ireland! <_<

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:31 AM

What's a rep <_<

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Athena

Athena

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

A travel company representative.

#7 nateinwex

nateinwex

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:50 PM

Well Im talking about a BAR rep. The annoying people who stand outside and try get customers in! :(

Even though I LOVE Crete and will return one day, I think Ill have to go with Tenerife next summer as they get commission and if you're good you can earn good money! :D

#8 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

That's PRing Nate. It is illegal in Greece and if you are caught you can be put in jail overnight (or weekend). Your employer might get a fine and technically should pay any fine you get but most don't and then you'll lose your job...

I'm sure the PRs get commission in Crete as well and had you stated that it was PRing in the first place you might have got the right information.

Good luck in Tenerife, it's not a place I'd ever go back to!

No matter what you do it's going to be long hours for not much money!