• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

I nearly responded to a comment that Tinks made but I realised (just in time) that would have messed up a very tidy "Visits for 2008" thread (frightened of Wim? who me? Yep I sure am!)

That we are able to plan another 3-month trip to Crete all comes down to choices and the fact that unlike many people we have not had the pleasure or expense of funding children through university.

We choose to live in a small apartment and live well, but simply, in the UK so that we can enjoy going to our small house in Crete to live even more simply.

Most people we know think we are a bit strange but somehow I think my "virtual" friends can see where we are coming from!

I once heard a great tale that sums it up:

A rich businessman visiting Crete for the first time observed a Cretan fisherman sitting in a taverna for hours each morning drinking coffee and chatting to his friends; he then returned again each evening to spend hours drinking Raki and playing Tavla.

Towards the end of the week the businessman could stand it no longer and approached the fisherman.

“I have been watching you all week and I have some advice that will increase your profits dramatically!

“Then tell me”, answered the fisherman.

“If you went out fishing an hour earlier each morning and came back an hour later and then did the same in the evenings you would soon make enough money to buy another boat and then, even after paying another person, you would make extra profit”.

“Oh yes”, said the fisherman, “and then what?”

The businessman was encouraged by this response and carried on, “Well, after a while you could probably buy another boat or even two, imagine you could soon have a small fleet.”

“Oh yes”, said the fisherman, “and then what?”

With a broad smile the businessman said, "Well, then you could afford to sit in the taverna most of the day drinking with your friends and playing Tavla!”

:)
Kritsa Yvonne

#2 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

Yvonne

Completely agree with you there.

We have moved to a smaller flat in London so that we can save more and make our move to Crete in the next 6-8 months.

Friends keep asking us if we'll do the same work that we do here and don't understand the concept of seasonal working! I'm forever telling them that I will be semi-retired before I'm 35!!!

We are sacrificing things in our life because we want to have enough saved to enjoy our life for the first couple of years before we get our winter IKA payments...

Everyone has a choice in life, we know what one we've made!!

Lynn

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

Yvonne my dear, some of my best friends, including my ex mother in law, would not understand why you are afraid of ME... :) . Even my ex wifes still think of me as a soft and understanding man.

You broke my heart.

But when it comes to easy-view I'm a freak ;)

Love you,

Wim
:(

P.S. loved the joke, it was off topic though :P
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 tom

tom

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

Ex-wifeS ?
I think your relation with your mother(s) in law was to good :)

Sorry but couldn't let the chance pass. As Dutch you should appreciate these days that an open goal is to put a ball in

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

Somebody must have been talking :)

Now actually Tom, I was married only once (after all who wants to be a recidivist) the other ones came and went once they were used to it/me :lol:

Yes wasn't that a nice game of football? I think the game was played at it should. Kicking the ball not the man.

Cheers!

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

Talking about not sticking to the thread.... Wim!! (picture of hammer) :D

And since you are just wandering about in different topics although the thread is "choices" (maybe you were talking about which football team you choose as the best?), I just decided NOT to be scared of Wim and let this thread float into something else... will try to knit it back at the end of my message!

I was sitting with Ton on his fantastic terrace overlooking the bay the other night, sharing a bottle of wine and some fresh, cool melon and we were wondering about you, Wim! We agreed that in these past years on ExploreCrete we have never heard you stating that you were coming over here on holidays! We even pondered on whether you were maybe a CIA agent collecting information about all of us and had no interest at all of visiting the island! ^_^

So, Wim, what are your choices as far as Crete is concerned? ;-)

#7 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

I do realise that I am getting old and have what are now considered to be strange ethics, but I am appalled by Ishall05's statement:

"We are sacrificing things in our life because we want to have enough saved to enjoy our life for the first couple of years before we get our winter IKA payments..."

I wonder what her attitude is towards immigrants who arrive in England to claim benefits and will she be happy if the Greeks view her the same way?

Another quote from Lynne:
"Friends keep asking us if we'll do the same work that we do here and don't understand the concept of seasonal working! I'm forever telling them that I will be semi-retired before I'm 35!!!"

The majority of Greeks employed in the seasonal tourist industry also have a winter job, even if it is harvesting their olives. State benefits are for those unlucky enough to not be able to find work, Cretans are generally too proud to claim.

Sorry lynne, but you will not be semi-retired before you are 35, you will be working for 6 months and sponging off the state for the rest of the time.

John (feeling grumpy because of the heat)
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#8 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

John, don't care that you're feeling grumpy because of the heat, because you chose to live in a country that gets very hot in the summer. As the title of this thread states, this is a CHOICE.

I have made similar comments on other forums and you have never made comment. No doubt trying to get yourself wound up so that you can have a go at someone else...

I have paid into the state in the UK since I left school at 18. I have been unemployed once when I was made redundant and we made the move to London. During that time (a whole 5 weeks between finishing and starting a new job in London) I received about £60 a week (if that) which was supposed to cover mortgage, council tax, bills etc etc. Considering what I've paid in over the years, that's not much that I 'sponged from the state'.

I will be doing the exact same in Crete as I will be working in a job where my employer will pay my IKA stamps. I will only be getting back a small percentage of what I have paid in. The difference between Greece & the UK is that in the UK anyone seems to be able to claim any benefits without having paid into the system before they get the cash. At least in Greece you only get if you have paid in.

My friends do not understand the concept of seasonal work because it is not something they have thought about doing. The only way that I can get them to understand is to explain to them that I will be working 6 or 7 months of the year for probably 10 hours a day with no day off (or one a month if I'm very lucky). We will have pretty much worked almost a years worth of work within those 6 or 7 months. Who says we won't end up getting work in the winter - that's something we will only know once we're over there.

So yes, John, as far as I'm concerned, I will be semi-retired, whether or not I work during the winter and whether or not I claim IKA winter payments is my business and my CHOICE.

#9 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

Wow, Dinny.

Was it something in your food? Did the sun shine too bright? B)

I can of course start a new topic about "answering members in the topic they started", but that would make this forum even more illegible than it already is.

So I stick to this one. ^_^

Yvonne, who started this thread stated (and I hoped she was joking): "I nearly responded to a comment that Tinks made but I realised (just in time) that would have messed up a very tidy "Visits for 2008" thread (frightened of Wim? who me? Yep I sure am!)"
Since you seem to understand my "clockwork" I had to tell her that she not needed to be afraid and explained in my way, why not. Than Tom (Yvonne's husband) came up with the Dutch football team and again I was provoked to answer him too in the same "wrong topic" that is called "Choices".

I confess. ;)

It gives a warm feeling though that you and Ton were "wondering" about me. I do too, a lot, lately....and it seems that I have been "invited" to do some explaining. Or is that off topic?
In the plethora of topics on this board I told you all that I'm a (part time) lecturer in design and (small scale)architecture. I do this because I love to work with young people. They inspire your spirit and prevent it from adapting to your real physical age. That is a blessing for when I look around at the people of my own age (which 'll be 65 in December) I feel a certain advantage invigorate my spine.

Now, to come to the point of making choices Din :)

There are however one or two, maybe three, disadvantages. It forces me to holiday in the season that half the world does, which I don't like, I hate too much noise) and also a period that I have to update my own little practice where I need to make the money I lost while teaching. Teaching in Holland is based on the responsibility factor. Not on the "making a living" one since the appointments are too small for that purpose. The Dutch Government is as greedily as the mentality we (the Dutch) are known for....So when a new assignment is in sight I don't have the luxury to say no. And as far as I have understood you wouldn't either, wouldn't you Din, being self employed as well.

Getting there :D

1. There are not many cheap flights from Holland to Crete. Transavia who is about the cheapest price fighter charges € 606,18, flight only for a two weeks period, from Amsterdam to Heraklion. This price is without hotel accommodation. Of course. The cheapest possibility in that case is 4 days (per 2 persons) to "Chersonisoss and costs € 245 and 8 days € 648. If I have to spend that much money for such a lousy location I'd rather stay at home and lay on the beach in Scheveningen. I don't know what happened with prices in Crete. I looks like the Russian Mafiosi have taken over the island. It's also possible that Greece/Crete has become a quality destination in Holland.

Hmm, I think this thread is starting to fit the topic now. ;)

So a man (women too, I understand) have to make choices and when it comes to surviving, the choices are limited. You can't go on vacation without the influence of the other. Point. I made however, which you could read on this forum (I can't find the topic though), the last important decision of my life which is retiring to Crete. An island that I started to love at first sight in 1979 and never got out of my mind again. Truly a love for life. The one and only I'm afraid. But there are also other destinations to travel. And since I like that, I also visited Gozo, Sri Lanka, Portugal in the meantime, and France where friends of mine have a little "gite" that I'm going to re-design-build.

The choice :)

My landlord is dead ill. A cirrhosis is changing his future. To put it short he's going to sell the place I live in to spend the last moments that has been giving to him in a way that fits his wishes. So with this "momentum" falling down on me it made my decision to retire to Crete final since I can't imagine starting all over again in the "Low Lands"..

Think this was a confession Din, now please " absolvo me a peccatis":lol:

B)

#10 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

Wim, thanks for the update you've given above - so it looks as though you may be retiring to Crete in the next few months? Do let us know your plans, and it will be really good to meet you in the flesh when we're over next year.

Pam & Bob

#11 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

Nice confession, Wim! :D Ego te absolvo...

I am looking forward to meeting you soon as well as Pam, although the expression "in the flesh" always makes me smile!

#12 Al(Kiwi)

Al(Kiwi)

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:04 AM

Good luck Wim on your plans to live in Crete. My wife & I hope to visit the island again next year. It is time to visit my son, his wife and our grandchildren again. Not sure how much it will cost but it surely will be horrendous. New Zealand is such a long way from Crete and we are in the depth of winter at the moment. Anyway all the best you lucky person.

#13 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:51 PM

So with this "momentum" falling down on me it made my decision to retire to Crete final since I can't imagine starting all over again in the "Low Lands"..

perhaps fate has forced your hand :D

are you thinking of agia galini?
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#14 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

Wim

Enjoy your retirement in Crete
Ian

#15 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

Thank you guys, for your good wishes.

I'm not sure yet Bob about Galini. Have to check that out more thoroughly. The last few years some local businessman have decided to prevail the Galini tourist market by offering quantity instead of quality.

Take a look at this e.g.

Posted Image

But the view downwards to Galini is breathtaking.

Posted Image

:D

#16 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

unfortunately this is also true of one of our favourite place, plakias

Posted Image
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#17 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

This seems to be a computer image, Harribobs, perhaps some horrifying picture of a future-to-be? Surely it cannot be Plakias of today?

#18 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

indeed Dinny, it is a computer generated image of how they expect the first stage of the development to look like

they have started digging the foundations and laying pipes now

it reminds me a great deal of Damnoni bay (to the east of Plakias) and the Hapimag Time Share complex :D
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#19 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:57 PM

Wim

The whole of Crete is changing fast, some parts faster than others.

If you ever get to look at the east end of Crete, where change is perhaps a little slower, please look me up.

From one who is already "Retired in Crete" I wish you all the best for your retirement in Crete. I know that you will not regret it. Growing older has many pitfalls, being able to retire to Crete is not one of them!

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#20 David and Glenda

David and Glenda

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

John,
Anybody thinking of moving to East Crete had better get their skates on before those proposed developments get going.
You're right, though, Eastern Crete still retains that olde world feel about it - my village of Skopi especially so.
Here's hoping we get some more European flights into Sitia Airport - that would be the icing on the cake! :D
Regards
David
Skopi used to be a nice place til we arrived