#1 Nat08

Nat08

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hello!

I am a Spaniard who has spent the last 4 years in the UK and is desperately missing the sun and the sea. I am a translator and teacher of modern languages. I speak Greek (used to live in Athens and Patras a few years ago), so I thought: why don't you just go back to beautiful Greece? I don't really want to live in Athens or Thessaloniki, and my instinct tells me Crete could be ideal for me. I have been in contact with a few languages schools based in Iraklion and they seem to be interested, we'll see. I have thousands of questions, but to start with I need to know where I shall stay, I mean what area. I'd love to be in Haniá but I realised I'd have more opportunities in the capital. Can anyone recommend a particular area/neighbourhood? I'm afraid I don't know the place :) I need some help please!

Filiá,

Nat

#2 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

Nat

There are lots of frontisterios in Chania and personally I prefer it to Heraklion. Also, Chania Palso are more organised (organisation of language school owners) and you can deposit your cv with their office so all schools in the area can see it if they are searching for a teacher.

Good luck on the job front. It is very much about who you know and personal contact, I have found.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 Nat08

Nat08

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

Hi Emma,

Thanks for your answer, it is really useful, I didn't know there are frontistiria in Hania, when I first did a search online, everything I could see was in Heraklion. Hopefully greeks (and mainly not only greeks) will be interested in learning Spanish:) I think I am going to have a great time anyway, I can't wait! Greetings from cloudy Bristol.

Nat

#4 sandie

sandie

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hi there

Just reading your post, I noticed that you said you are a native Spanish speaker. In my experience here, the schools seem to prefer native English speakers and if not, they seem to expect a TESOL qualification. I took my TESOL qualification here in Hania 2 years ago with INTESOL and was really impressed with them and thoroughly enjoyed the course. It was money well spent for me as the experience of practical teaching and the theory of the language was invaluable. There are companies that offer TEFL/TESOL on line but you won't get the teaching practice certificate which is the most important bit.......

If you want to check them out you can look them up on www.intesolgreece.org.

Good luck in Crete!!

Sandie