2 replies to this topic

#1 redape

redape

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:06 PM

Hi I'm Paul and have a house in Males. My wife and I have just returned to UK after spending 2 months at the house. Whenever we come to Crete we try to see places not visited before. This time we found a deserted village along the coast from Mirtos called 'Kalami'. Can anyone tell me why it is deserted (just like the Marie Celeste!). Also on this trip we walked the Samaria Gorge, never again . Not having walked more than 4 miles at any one time for over 25years we suffered for days after. Still being both in our 60's we feel a little proud that we did it. We have made friends with Susana and Adrian, the people who run the donkey sanctuary in Anatoli, they have no financial help from anyone so if you are passing that way!. Paul

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

Hi Paul welcome to the board.

I found and marked Kalami and paste the picture of the village below. Seen the area it might have something to do with the fact that the Andartes was very active in this area and hence the village was destroyed like Kato Simi, just a few km NW, out of repercussion.

Posted Image

:)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:39 AM

Kalami Viannou Video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthtnFWe5Hw&feature=geosearch
In: [No Name].

click on the link for an overview of the village.
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.