21 replies to this topic

#1 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

I have decided that my next 'war graves pilgrimage' will not be to the graves of soldiers, sailors and airmen who died in past conflicts. On September the 9th 2008, I will be embarking on a lone pilgrimage to seek out the memorials dedicated to the Cretan people who once stood up and shouted "NO SURRENDER". It is my intention to quietly traverse the island of Crete playing my pipes in tribute to the men, women and children whose sacrifice won for me the freedom to travel through Crete in peace. One of those children was the same age as myself when our homes were bombed He died and I survived.
I hope to place a wreath at each location I visit.

I am 73 years of age and although I am an ex Royal Marine, I do not belong to ANY association. I plan my world wide war graves pilgrimages alone and strive to draw attention to the debt we owe.

My journey through Crete will rely on the practical help I get now from those who live in the areas I want to visit. As time passes there seems to be a reluctance to cling onto the past in favour of embracing the euro. Perhaps when people like me have passed on the past can be forgotten and we will no be an embarrasment.

I DO NOT SEEK OR WILL I ACCEPT FINANCIAL SUPPORT.

In the meantime I would like help in finding the exact location of some thirty civiliam memorials. I would appreciate any help in locating the actual memorials in: Ano Viannos. Amiras. Kato Symi. Myrtos. Zaros. Vorizia. Ano Meros. Melambes. Amari. Gerakari. Vrisses. Koxari. Preveli. Asi Gonia. Chora Sfakia. Kallikratis. Koustogerako. Elos. Vathi. Vattollakos. Alikanos. Laki. Panagia. I am sure there are many more..

Bill Jenkins
Liverpool
England

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

;)

What's your next move piper?

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

koxari (e) is easy enough, it's right on the main road in the middle of the village, on the right hand side as you go south.

(no photo i'm afraid)

Elos is easy to find as well, again centre of the village right hand side next to one and opposite to the other big tavernas in the village (both being exceptionally good and friendly.) There's a statue of an Officer there as well, i would love to know who it is but my greek wasn't upto it last time i was there

Ano Meros is just out of the village but on the roadside. it's located on the west side of the village as you approach it from Gerikani way

(photo posted previously)

Prevelli, if you mean the allied memorial, is by the coast about 1/2 mile before you get to the monastery

Posted Image

Asi Gonia is in the centre of the village (several of them btw)

(photo posted previously)

Chora Sphakia, there are two there, the civilian one is on the way into town from the east (as you go around a sharp bend, and the military memorial is by the harbour near where the ferry docks

Posted Image

Gerakani is again in the centre of town, opposite to a T junction in a small park, when approached from Spilli

chris
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#4 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

WIM,

My next step is to arrive at DESPO HOTEL, Gouves for two days 9/9/08/ visitng ARCHANES on the 11th before driving on to Ano Viannos. Dare not make any further plans but am not leaving Crete until 7th.October. Thanks Chris for your time. Plenty of research to do yet but things are looking promising.

#5 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hi,

Back again. Looks like I am going to have difficulty with VATHI near ELOS. I may ecen have to hire a driver with 4WD to get there. It is important that I make it. I have much in common with a wee lad who was burned aklive there in August 1944. Any ideas ?????
Bill J

#6 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

Hi,

Still trying to find information of memorial in Laki (Lakki). Most others are faling into place but Laki is a mystery.

Bill J

#7 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:01 AM

Bill,
If you go into Google and type in Lakki memorial a few sites will come up amongst them the following which have some good photos of an impressive monument. If I remember rightly there is a taverna to the right of the monument as you face it and look down the valley.
The sites are www.johnelkington.com and www.artist-in-crete.org.
Dave
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#8 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:01 AM

Bill,
If you go into Google and type in Lakki memorial a few sites will come up amongst them the following which have some good photos of an impressive monument. If I remember rightly there is a taverna to the right of the monument as you face it and look down the valley.
The sites are www.johnelkington.com and www.artist-in-crete.org.
Dave

#9 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:02 AM

Sorry folks posted it twice due to connection problems tonight.

#10 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

Hi,

Thanks Dave. Very helpful.

Bill J

#11 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:05 AM

bill
Vathi memorial, it's on the main road, centre of the village

Posted Image

chris
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#12 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

Dear Chris,

What would I do without you. Thanks for letting me 'file' Vathi. This although a very tiny village is one I MUST visit. I have all the information I need on it and will probably visit it during my few days stay in Kandanos. My plans are changing daily and I will probably not know for sure what my route will be until nearer my arrival in Crete. Two things are certain. (1) I will arrive in GOUVES, Despo Hotel on the 9th September and (2) my wife IS coming with me.
Again thanks for your assistance.

Bill.

#13 Annette

Annette

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

Vathy - mention: there is a small stone on the right hand of the memorial for 3 children (one month, 1 and 6 years) who have been killed by the Germans, when they burned the village.
Annette

P.S: Sorry, I just have read some other threads after posting this message and I see, that you already know about the cruel death of the 3 children. You can find a picture of the stone in the kreta-wiki also (I want to avoid link spamming).

#14 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

Thanks again.

I have managed to translate the information on Floria and it adds to the now comprehensive story of what happened in the villages of Crete. Vathe will be a special visit as the children who died there remind me of my own brothers and sisters at that time. We were lucky to escape our bombed home. I am taking a special wreath to place in the village. So far my wife and I have commissioned 30 individual wreaths.
Bill J
Liverpool

#15 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

Hi,

Me again. Just thought I would put you right on a wee point. Some may think that with all my worldwide war graves pilgrimages I must be loaded. Not a bit of it. Just a pensioner with modest means but a gift from God. Even at 74 years of age I can still play my pipes. Each Saturday will see me on the streets of Merseyside with a display informing the public of the sacrifices made and my dedication to ensure they are not forgotten. The fact that the Merseyside people fund my research, travel and accommodation is evidenceof their support for what I do.

Bill Jenkins
Liverpool UK

#16 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

Still struggling to put the final pages/plans to my journey. Trying to find information on civilian war memorial in ZAROS (if any). I emailed several accomodation possibilities in Zaros but got no replies. Perhaps they thought my pilgrimage may uspest some of their guests. I have found details of the memorial at VORIZIA but no details of accomodation/rooms. Any ideas ???

#17 Annette

Annette

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

Here you are with Zaros. The Memorial shows 20 names of people who died between 1940 and 1950 (and some more of other periods of time).

There are several rent rooms in the village. I had a room in Idi-Hotel (Single room 30€ incl. breakfast), half way from the village to the small and beautiful lake. The swimming pool in front of the hotel has been build by the Germans. Unfortunately they didn't focus on constructing swimming pools....

#18 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

Thanks Annette.

You guided me to 'a' memorial in Zaros. I was going to stay overnight in Zaros but I don't think I would enjoy a dip in the pool. I will simply place a wreath and carry on to Vorizia and play my lament at the impressive memorial there. Vorizia was destroyed by bombing - an experience I myself had at six years of age in Liverpool. Thanks.

#19 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:46 PM

hHi.

How wrong can one be ? My comments about not staying in ZAROS were completely unfounded. Zaros is a wonderful place. The people were so friendly and helpful. Of the 35 villages I visited I rate Zaros as one I will remember. It is CRETAN.
Bill Jenkins
Liverpool

#20 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

I found Bill had made it to Floria :)

Posted Image

Posted Image