14 replies to this topic

#1 jeanmark

jeanmark

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

Hello there. We will be visiting Crete in late Augst / early May and, for the first time, will be staying close to Kamilari. I get the feeling we will love it! Does anybody have any particular suggestions on good restauarants in the area, also any hints about the best local beaches would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Jean and Mark.

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

On the many occasions when I stayed with Michalis and Ilsa at Ambeliotisa in Kamilari, I used a taverna in the village on a corner, on the far side. In Kalamaki I used Avra on the seafront. The fact that I am unable to recall all the details tells me I have been away too long.
Beachwise I used to go to Comos, turn off in Pitsidia to the right. There you can go au naturel .You also have Kalamaki and further east Matala.
But I expect that our local expert will have more comprehensive and up to date information and will post.

#3 Foxy

Foxy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

I agree with Tim, the best restaurant around is Avra at Kalamaki Beach (on the right side, somewhat away of the tavernas). Always ask the chef about the menu of the day, he always has surprises ! Second best restaurant is between Kalamaki and Matala, it's called Panorama café (or something like that) and you have a stunning view on Comos and Kalamaki beach, in the evening the sunset is splendid !
I stayed at Kiknos Hotel and that's a really good place to stay, I saw on their website they opened a café too, perhaps you should try it too.

#4 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

Kommos ( or Commos) Beach

Posted Image

Red beach on the other side of Matala is worth a mention as well

Posted Image
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#5 yavanna

yavanna

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

This is the best part of Crete. I love it there! We use to stay in Matala, it´s perfect point for Commos and Red beach visit, as well. when I´m on commos, i allways thik "oh, this is the most beautifull beach on the world" and another day on red bech I think exactly the same. B) you will be very satisfied in this area. I think the name of the second best tavern is Panorama view.
now I ´m going to start crying, becouse, this year there will be no Crete. i´m pregnant due august/september, so for us - no summer holiday... <_<

#6 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

...oh how the memory has been awoken of an enjoyable lunch
Attached File  DSC04847.JPG   149.21KB   27 downloads

When to return? That is the question
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#7 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

The aptly named Panorama Dave?
And if I am not mistaken Psiloriti in the background?
Happy Days indeed.

#8 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

the Vrahos taverna i think ( they are both together IIRC)

Posted Image

i recognise the fence

Posted Image
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#9 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:26 PM

...quite correct about the restaurant. Well done! I couldn't get Hil to sit on the fence for a photo B) . I told her not to worry , that the insurance was paid up!!!! <_<
Perhaps we may get further along the track this year and try the next restaurant.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#10 jeanmark

jeanmark

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:24 AM

Dear all, thank you so much for all your answers - it's four months or so before we go so there may be quite a few more questions over the next weeks! Getting excited already about returning to Crete, and to exploring a new area. Thnks to all involved in putting together such a good website. Jean and Mark.

#11 yavanna

yavanna

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:44 AM

Do you think the name of the tavern is Vrahos? I think it´s Uranos, isn´t it? <_<

#12 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

My favourite used to be the Vrahos - of which Harribobs attached a photo. Unfortunately, some idiot thought it would be a good idea to set it on fire last February (together with a few bars in Pitsidia) so this year there will be no Vrahos lunches. But they are building it again, so hopefully next year it will be business as usual.

In Kalamaki my favourite is the Dolphin - and as far as I know Kamilari has the best pizzeria around here, but I simply cannot remember the name. Anyway, when in Kamilari just as for a pizza <_< everybody will know where to send you.

In Matala I prefer The Lions restaurant although it is a bit expensive, but the food is delicious and it is so nice to sit just next to the beach in the evening and enjoy the sunset.

Kali orexi :-)

#13 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

dinny

shame to hear about the fire!!!

i have got to agree about 'the lions' fantastic restaurant!

chris
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#14 jeanmark

jeanmark

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

That's a real shame about the Vrahos, what a wicked waste - we may well still pop by to see the view. Is the Panorama still there ? Jean and Mark.

#15 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:52 PM

Yes, Panorama is still up and running with its funny old motorbikes as decoration. I never think of it as a "restaurant" though, it is mostly a snack bar.