13 replies to this topic

#1 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

I've looked at so many websites about how to get a residency permit that I'm going cross-eyed.

As far as I can tell, I will need my passport, birth certificate and possibly proof of income or ability to support myself.

The office in Athens is possibly at 173 Alexandros Avenue but I can't find a phone number in order to find out in advance what documents I will need.

I will go armed with numerous copies and passport photos but would be grateful if anyone knows the number or can point me towards an official government site that actually gives relevant information.

*pauses for a moment to stop the giggles*

How strict are they on the 90 day thing as well? I can understand why people don't bother but if I'm working here I will need to.

Thanks people.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:06 PM

The best explanation on what is required that I've seen is on the "Living in Crete" web site - have you looked at that? There is a link to it on the links page of Explore Crete. However, from what I've read on forums it can also depend on who exactly it is you see, time of day, month, moon phase etc, so best to take all documents!

Good luck.

Pam

#3 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

yup, think that's where I got the address from. The Greece is Home site that Assim runs is good too.

My friend said she needed her tax number first so I think i shall stop worrying about it for now and sort it out next week. Like you say, it all depends who you see. The mood I'm in today I'm really tempted to not bother and look for jobs outside Greece!

Ah well, I'll relax for Easter first, thanks for the tips Pam.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#4 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

Hi Em,

First I don't want to take the glory for the other forum you mention. Its owned by a friend and I'm just an admin to help with deleting any spam that may come along.

Second:residents permit; If you hold a passport from another European country eg UK you do not need a residents permit, you can stay in Greece as long as you want legally without one. Sometimes, however, it comes up, most often when purchasing a car. If you really want one just go to your local police station with your passport, this is where they issue them. (when I went and asked for one , they told me I didnt need it) The immigration office you mention is for non eu nationals and you will need a lot of time from what I see, the queues are extremly long.

To work, buy a house, or a car, you need a tax number. This is the easiest thing in the world to get. Just go along to your nearest tax office and they will issue you one.
You dont need a residents permit to work

#5 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:14 AM

Really???? I thought you needed one if you were staying more than 90 days. I know I have the right to stay but thought I needed a record. Well that's good news. I didn't want to make a mess because of working here but if all I need is a tax number then I should be ok. I think there is an IKA office which deals with that quite close by.

:D :D :D

Cheers Assim. It's been driving me nuts trying to work out what I need to do and the documents I'll need and i was especially grumpy earlier so there were some foul words flying around. :lol:

Have you seen the Greek embassy site in London? they can't even get the scroll bars working so you can't read all the text. Doesn't create a good impression really.

#6 David and Glenda

David and Glenda

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

Although we won't be living permanently in Crete, it seems the green card is a useful document.
We were told we'd need our Tax Number, copies of our Passport and 6 photos.
We'll find out in a few weeks time when we apply for ours.
Regards
David
Skopi used to be a nice place til we arrived

#7 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:16 AM

Hi,

If someone moves to Crete in middle of tax year, gets a tax number etc, does their earnings from the country they have left get taken into account for that year in Crete? Or do they start from scratch?
Dave.

#8 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

The double taxation agreement would come into effect. You would need an accountant to deal with it. You need an accountant in Greece anyway as it makes the tax returns easier.

Basically you would get taxed in the UK for the proportion of earnings you had while in the UK. Then you would declare those earnings and the fact the tax had been paid in the UK on you Greek tax returns. You would then not be taxed again on those earnings and the Greek taxman would have his bit for the earnings in Greece.

Note; The tax year in the UK runs April 6th to April 5th the following year
In Greece the tax year runs from Jan 1st to December the 31st.

Ie you finish work in the UK in June and start work in Greece in June.
You would pay income tax to the UK for April through to June. You will get a certificate from your employer for earnings and tax paid from January to June for the Greek accountant.
You would then pay tax for income arising in Greece from June to December.

Don't worry its simple with a good accountant.

Directgov is a good website for infomation on leaving the uk

#9 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:44 AM

Thank you very much Assim!

You can't beat the Taxman so: angry: :lol: !!! Your weblink Directgov is good reading and gives a good insight into moving etc and is probably similar to my situation leaving Ireland, must check to see if there is anything similar from here.... Will post link for others (if there is one!), cheers.

:D

The tax year here is same as Crete 1 Jan-31 Dec. makes things much easier all round.

Any idea of a Website about Taxation in Crete worth checking?

My main question is about banking, I can put money in Bank here in Ireland and get 10% Interest Tax Free (as a Non-Resident, when we move) and it would then come under "Unearned Income" not sure what the Interest Rates are in Crete!
Dave.

#10 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

If you can get 10% interest in Ireland, then leave your money there. The interest in Greece is 5% - 5.5% and you will have to pay 10% tax on it.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#11 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:22 PM

Thanks Yiannis.

Just thinking about basic ideas at moment.

Reckon a good accountant would be best before doing anything.

Cheers.
Dave.

#12 irish greek

irish greek

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

Hi househunter. I couldn't resist asking you how you can get 10% interest on money invested in a bank in Ireland. We moved over here to Crete last year and we have invested money here. I wasn't aware that you could invest money in an Irish bank as a non-resident and get 10%. Is that a guaranteed return or something that has an element of risk about the amount of interest you receive. Maybe it is locked in for five years or something? Please give me some more info on this!

#13 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

For starters, Househunter is still resident in Ireland.

#14 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

Yep, still ensconced in Ireland <_< B) , plans afoot for escape. Just planning options for future!!

The Halifax are advertising a Current Account with 10.48% Interest Rate on deposits, just wondering about their Credit Exposure at moment.......haven't checked their terms/conditions yet though.

If I invest with them, then move to Crete I'll then have a Non-Resident Account!

Anyone can open an account with them, if it is a large amount deposited you must be able to prove that it comes from a legitimate source! You'd probably have to do it in person!
Dave.