3 replies to this topic

#1 Ruth and Paul

Ruth and Paul

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hi we are both British but bought a house on Crete nearly 2 years ago. We are now waiting for the ideal people to walk in and buy our house (ha ha - with the current market we may never "live the dream") I am a teacher and Paul is an electrician and we are hoping to meet and become friends with many of the locals in our village. It's very rural and "Greek" and our home is just a very small Greek house and orange orchard. Anyway have been dipping in to the forum and would love to hear from anyone in the Hania area (our house is in a small village just outside) so that as the scenario plays out I can let you know how we're doing and maybe get some helpful advice along the way!

#2 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

lucky you to have a got a place out there!, which village are you in Ruth?
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#3 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hi Ruth & Paul,
Welcome to the forum. I bought a house last year in a "rural Cretan village". I'm hoping to "live the dream" & move in the next couple of years.
My next door neighbours are fabulous, but only the 22 year old daughter speaks English. The majority of the village population who are very friendly only speak Greek, which hinders communication somewhat!! Having said that whenever anyone walks past they always stop & say hello or welcome, how are you, in Greek of course.
I'm learning Greek in the UK, very,very slowly, so that when I move I will be able to hold at least basic conversations.

If you don't want to be restricted to just mixing with just ex-pats then you will need to speak at least some basic Greek as outside of the tourist areas there might not be many English speakers.

My house in 20 mins from Heraklion, so I won't be in your area.

Good Luck with your move.

Ros.

#4 Fotini

Fotini

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

Hello Ruth & Paul.
How are you today?My name is Fotini , I live in Chania and I am Greek