#1 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:23 PM

Hi all,

Back in 1961 a ship sailed from America to Crete bringing many American Cretans with it. One man had a Super 8 film camera and now we have, courtesy of John Sooklaris, an outstanding record of those times.

I am posting the films on my website at
http://crete.wordpress.com
These films are truly extraordinary and you can see Crete much as I first saw it in 1966 when I first arrived on the island.

Enjoy

Ray

#2 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

Just posted second of Anthony Skoolaris' films about Iraklion in 1961. There will be more.

The first was Hania in 1961.

Ray

#3 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

Good job Ray. Thanks

#4 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hi, Ray, I've spent a lazy afternoon browsing through your site and watching a number of the videos - most enjoyable. I particularly liked the one of Heraklion - I stayed there in 1974 and it hadn't much changed then, though of course it's very different now. At that time there was a small street just off the market, I think, full of restaurants where we ate most nights, but I've not been able to find it in the last couple of years when we've spent a night in Heraklion. Do you remember it?

One other memory of that holiday was spending a night at Phaestos. At that time there was a hostel on the site - we woke up and watched the sun rise over the ruins, had breakfast and then spent a couple of hours exploring the site before anybody else arrived - absolutely magical.

All the best
Pam & Bob

#5 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

Having just corresponded with John about his father's films he has released another great movie which is just put up on my website. The thing about John is that he was very young on this trip to Crete in 1961 and his father, who took the films, has unfortunately died.

What we are trying to do is to identify the places in this movie that were filmed. I have done my best to do this and in the latest movie there are parts of a memorial south of Hania at Alikiarnos and then mostly eastern Crete I am sure, Agios Nicholas and Lassiti plateau certainly.

So if any of you can identify and parts of this movie both I and John would appreciate it. So too would his mother. You can comment on my website easily below the post.

Thanks

Ray

http://crete.wordpress.com/

#6 Hooly

Hooly

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

Ray

Great pictures and well worth viewing.

I'm not a great expert but have spent most of my holidays over last few years around the Agios Nikolaos area & the section of the 2nd film either side of the 2 minute mark is definitely taken around the War Memorial in Venizelou Square in Agios itself, which can be seen here (greeka.com picture).

I know from reading your articles that you have a depth of knowledge going well back, but wondered if you had previous come across the items shown in the "Images from another age" section of the
Agios Nikolaos municipal site. I can't see any trace of their vintage but they are interesting (to me anyway!).

Pete