6 replies to this topic

#1 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

This if for John (in particular) - Retired in Crete. John, back late in 2006 you gave us some figures regarding electricity bills. At the time you said your house was around 84sqm and you had a pool and that your 2-monthly bill was approximately 43 Euros. We went ahead and purchased our 2 bed house, (with shared pool - just with one neighbour). We've had a couple of bills and they have been very very high. ;) In fact the communal bill, which is only for drive-way lights, and some road lights, and a security light above gate is also high, despite being shared with 5 other neighbours. Wondered if you'd be good enough to give me an approximate up-to-date figure for a 2 monthly electricity bill and let me know again, how many hours you're running the pool/air con like you were good enough to do so last time. BEcuase I'm not in Crete at the moment I haven't seen the actual bill so cannot be precise as to what months it it covering. I understand the bill has just been read and I have an estimated bill, and then on 8th April it will be re-read and I will receive an Actual bill for payment. Is this how it normally works. I thought I would be getting a bill every 2 months, but apparently not. Any guidance help from you John or anyone in the same position would be appreciated. Ta :lol:

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:59 AM

Hi,

Just a thought - if you have a standing order set up with the bank double check that the money is actually being paid. We had a problem once with huge bills and then we were cut off.

Once everything was running properly we have been pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the bills are - we only have a small house and no pool though.
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

The bills do indeed come bi-monthly. 1 read, the next estimated, the next read, next estimated and so on. My last bi-monthly bill was €160. the reading was 1799 units. That is for an apartment 129sqm. The only extravagance is, we heat water with electric, but I think we have normal usage besides that. this bill has no heating costs or air condition costs as they weren't used during that period. (no pool)

DEH price list
DEH website

#4 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

If anyone heats up the house water with electricity (in Greek thermosiphono) WILL GET BURNT WITH HIGH ELECTRICITY BILLS. Invest 850 Euros and install solar panels. Not photovoltaics those are complex and expensive. If you would have to stick with thermosiphono then tutn it off as soon as the water reaches its set temperature, do not leave it on all the time.
Check also your bills if they are final or just estimate. DEH is using last years consumption to estimate your bill when they do not use actual measurment.
Do not forget that your DEH bill includes taxes for DIMOS garbage pick up and ERT (Greek TV) fees.
To check if you have a leak in your system turn off the house master/general switch for all electrical consumption and then check outside at the clock meter if the wheel is still moving. If its moving you have a leak somewhere.

Ton

#5 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

If you put the solar water heater on the roof, 6th floor roof. I assume you have a pipe down to your apartment? And will it stay hot enough from 6th floor to 2nd floor?

#6 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:37 AM

Sure it will stay warm if the pipe is insulated. B)

#7 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

hmmm worried now what my bill might be. The apartment doesn't have a shower so I have to heat the water everyday for a bath and I never know how long and sometimes forget and leave it on while I do other stuff.

Oh well. Nothing I can do about it.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.