Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:12 AM

Don't know about making raki but I like drinking it. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

Little word of netiquette - using CAPS is like shouting ;)
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 rakiman

rakiman

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for that, this is all new to me

#4 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

No problem.

So I take it you've been to Crete before?
Do you want to go out there to make raki or is that a little joke? :lol:
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

Well, if a friend of mine in the Messara is anything to judge by, making it in small quantities is within the reach of the small man as it were. He had a little still that sat on a table top and was trying to make the stuff out of all sorts of fruit in a quite short space of time. Some of the results were a bit frightening though!!
I was fortunate to be taken to a more traditional raki making event near Pirgos once. It started early evening at a still at the side of the road, and was operated throughout the evening and night by several members of the same family. By arrangement, people came along with their raw materials and they were put through the still. Whilst all this was going on there was a goat on the spit and lots of food to eat and (old ) raki to drink. I was the only non native there and they treated me very well although some of the matinades they sang poked gentle fun at me I was sure. It was a great priviledge to be allowed to join such a traditional pastime, I found the pace impossible to maintain though and grabbed an hour or twos sleep in the pick-up. The shack in which this took place was horrendously tatty but I don't suppose that affected the end product one little bit. Sadly it has been knocked down now.
I am not sure of the legality of raki production, cleary some level is legal as I have seen the stills on sale in Chania and other places, and the local police passed by the Pirgos still a number of times during the night. Some have said it is legal for certain days of the year, and I imagine there is a quantity limit (well a notional one!)
There is of course more than one sort of raki. I have a small bottle from Sphakia that also contains honey and is ok in small amounts; the late great George Psychoundakis gave me raki made from mulberries on one occasion, and my good friend our webmaster has also given me some of the traditional brew which I delight in partaking of at home from time to time.

#6 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:04 PM

Welcome rakiman!

Tim, I think people need a licence to produce raki, although I did read somewhere that they don't give them out now. I think they have to pay tax on it and have to prove how many bottles/litres they have produced.

Our friends dad makes raki and we got nearly 2 litres to take back with us last year. I'm not keen on it as a shot but boy is this stuff lovely and smooth and very drinkable!!

#7 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

i like tim was taken to traditional raki brewing all the app owners and hoteliers went to order bottles of the stuff it was a party, food and wine and of coarse raki,even the priest was their everbody had a great time what i can remember. that was in 1991, every where you went in bars and taverns you all got afew nips to get you going.the last time in crete i was surprised to see it on the bar prices never payed for it before, but if you were a good drinker the bar person would always slip you a couple.