#1 jessen

jessen

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:32 AM

Hi everyone,

This summer I will be spending 9 weeks working at an archaeological dig site off the Euboean Gulf. Since this is a very special opportunity I want to make the most of my trip to Greece. I plan to arrive about 10 days before the site work begins and explore Crete with a friend. We plan on visiting Knossos, Phaestos, Matala, the Samaria Gorge, and the Karmares Cave/Mt. Psiloritis. I am an avid hiker with all the necessary gear for outdoor excursions.

Of the places I've listed the Kamares Cave/Mt. Psiloritis has been the hardest one to plan logistically. We will not have our own transportation since we will be on a tight budget and be forced to use buses/maybe hitching. However, it seems to be very hard to get into the interior of Crete without a car. Any ideas? Do buses go to Karmares?

Has anyone here climbed to the top of Mt. Psiloritis. What is the easiest rout? Can we camp on top of the mountain?

Thanks for any help!

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

Seems there are not a lot of mountain climbers on the forum. Neither am I but I didn't want you to be left in the cold so maybe I can help you with these links. B)

Mountain Climbing 1

Mountain Climbing 2

Graham Williams Travel Writing

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hi Jessen,

I've just returned back from a week in Crete. Buses do run to Kamares from Heraklion but there are only 2 a day, I was actually on one of them returning to my house in an inland village.
They run Mon-Fri 13.30 & 15.00 from Heraklion; 05.30 & 15.00 on Sat & 07.30 on Sun.
Kamares to Heraklion 06.50 & 16.30 Mon-Fri; 07.00 & 16.30 on Sat & 14.00 on Sun.

The bus timetable can be found at http://bus-service-crete-ktel.com

Ros.

#4 jessen

jessen

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the bus website Ros and the links Wim, they are very helpful.

Do you think it is possible to get from Kamares down to the Matala by bus with out going back up to Iraklio?

#5 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:32 AM

Have you come across this article by travel writer Graham Williams?
He climbed Mt. Psiloritis (Mt. Ida).

http://journals.worl.../post/1346.aspx

Also, you may want to read Loraine Wilson's "Crete the White Mountains."
She does not have a section on climbing Mt. Psiloritis in her book, but she describes
a number of walks that may interest you and in the introduction she offers some practical
information on hiking in Crete.

Sounds as though you are going to have a wonderful holiday. All the best.

#6 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:14 PM

If you loook under the heading 'activities' in the toolbar and work your way through to 'hiking in crete' there may be an article that would interest you about Mt Ida/idi/Psiloritis and there is also deep in the archives a very interesting diary from Ivan who walked around Crete a couple of years ago (the easiest way to find this would be to use the 'search'' facility).
Stelios Jackson has also, I believe, written something on walking in Crete, so perhaps a search facility would bring these up. Enjoy your walking.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#7 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

To get to Matala by bus from Kamares you would have to take the Heraklion bus & change buses in Agia Vavara. You can then get either a Matala bus direct or change at Mires.

The other option would be to walk from Kamares to Zaros then to Mires & pick up the Matala bus or a taxi from there. I drove from Zaros to Mires last week & it was no more than a 20 minute drive.

Ros.

#8 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

I wonder if members who answer a thread also read what other members wrote. I often think that only the last thread is read :lol:
Aurelia ;)

B)

Some action on Yanni_s server changed my name to Wim Kouros Dave, it's the old avatar name I used when I became a member ;)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#9 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:37 PM

Wim,
I think that it is Ros21 who answered the original enquiry about bus times and is following a subsequent enquiry up with details of changes/connections! ;)
Hey, I've only just noticed that you have reverted back to Wim not the other name!!!!!!! You know that I am easily confused :lol:

#10 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:00 PM

I never even worked out what kouros meant.

Couldn't find it in my dictionary.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#11 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:37 AM

Gosh M, you disappoint me :lol:

Kouros

#12 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:00 AM

:lol:

Didn't think of looking there. Thought it was just a word so only looked in bilingual dictionaries.

I was a bit busy with school at the time too.

Thank you ;)
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#13 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

Wim,
I think that it is Ros21 who answered the original enquiry about bus times and is following a subsequent enquiry up with details of changes/connections!
Hey, I've only just noticed that you have reverted back to Wim not the other name!!!!!!! You know that I am easily confused

Dave I wasn't refering to the bus item. I was refering to the topic item which is about climbing the psiloritis remember? I answered Jesse's thread with 3 links one of which was repeated by Aurelia. It seems that some members don't know that the blue characters are direct links, not just funny coloured ones. ;)

The bus item has also extensivly been reviewed on this forum. But you are right if you subtly instill that this forum has too much topics about the same subject :lol:

;)

#14 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

....even more confused ;) Me? Subtle? I think not Wim :lol: Confused and a bit 'twp' (silly/stupid), definitely!
Ah, Kouros!!!! I have just used the blue link! I can recognise the facial features but am not to sure about the rest!!!!! ;)

#15 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

You mean of course the left leg ;)
Am not sure of the back of my head though. Always had this strange feeling I missed something. But the rest fits just fine :lol:

B)

We're also way out of this topics intention ;)

#16 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

...and back to the origins of the thread.

Jessen,

If you have a few spare hours try and read 'The Golden Step' by Christopher Somerville. Not only is it his story of a walking journey 'through the heart of Crete' but it is also quite an interesting history book. You may pick up some tips/contacts from it. I think you can pick it up for about £10 at that site that is called after a well-known river in South America. B)

#17 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

As with all of Christopher Somerville's travel writing, "The Golden Step," is engrossing and extremely well done.
I wonder, however, why he did not use references or cite sources for his extensive sections on history. Surely,
all of this information did not come from the top of his head, brilliant though it may be.

#18 falltutt

falltutt

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

Hi
I am very envious of you staying 9 weeks on Crete - I spent 2 weeks there in Oct (my second visit) and went over to Zakros & walked the valley of the dead. I work in a museum in England & would myself like to work on a dig on Crete. I wondered where your dig is & how you arranged to be part of it? Anyway good luck with it

#19 jessen

jessen

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:07 PM

I am very envious of you staying 9 weeks on Crete - I spent 2 weeks there in Oct (my second visit) and went over to Zakros & walked the valley of the dead. I work in a museum in England & would myself like to work on a dig on Crete. I wondered where your dig is & how you arranged to be part of it? Anyway good luck with it

Actually, I'll be near Lamia on the mainland for the dig, I am going to be on Crete for only 10 days. I got on the dig through my university as part of a field school. The dig website is here.

#20 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:19 PM

Going back to the original posting, my recent visit to SJ's new bookshop opening enabled me to listen to a reading and an informal talk by Christopher Somerville about his walk across Crete - including some of the mountain sections. I am not a climber/walker but do recall very clearly that he would not consider walking some mountain areas on his own when there was snow about because of the existence of sink holes that you needed a local guide to see you safely past. He was guided by a very experienced local mountaineer.
My colleagues who recently completed their walk in parts of Crete went over Psiloriti but with the help of a local experienced Cretan serviceman this time; some years before they did it without a physical guide but after taking advice from locals in Anogia. They were in the main very experienced mountaineers but still experienced some areas of difficulty that they were not really expecting. I get the impression that no matter what your experience, Crete mountains can be unique in terms of the challenges they may present. In one case, even modern boots were not up to the job and the sole parted from the top- fortunately a young shoemaker in Anogia performed miracles and repaired the errant footware!