Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:36 PM

Here are links to two articles from the Guardian concerning plans to have golf
courses on Crete. Dr. Rackham, author of "The Making of the Cretan Landscape,"
is quoted in these articles. I was fortunate to attend a presentation he gave on this subject
about two years ago on the island.

http://www.guardian....dangeredspecies

http://www.guardian....reece.pollution

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:17 PM

Right this is the topic that Aurelia started about the same area as the cave sidero. And there is also one about the Red Beach.
I think we may have as much topics about golf courses as they are planning ;)

Maybe Yannis can wrap it all into one comfortable new topic called: To Hell With Golf Courses That Threatens Crete's Environment.

Love that one.
:lol:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the links, Aurelia. It's good not to simply have all Cretan ecological and other potential disasters in one place in this forum.

Isn't it funny how some people, like most of us here, just love the relatively simple things that partly makes up part of modern Crete, and then there are others who get their satisfaction by watching the money roll in, taking high-finance chances and so on.

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:12 PM

Have a look at the plans.

http://www.minoangroup.com/

It's good not to simply have all Cretan ecological and other potential disasters in one place in this forum.

Can you give one good reason for that remark Henry? Besides the fact that you seem to like to dig your way through the topics when searching for information and the answers to it. B)

:D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

If you have all this development controlled and also an environmental policy, instead of people building a 200 sqM house every 4 strema, then it has to be better for the environment.

#6 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

I think Assim made a point there. Besides Golf course is a better solution for the environment than a garbage disposal place like they are thinking of doing behind Matala.

#7 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

Just in case you asked yourself what the f...is a stremma. 1 stremma, also called "royal stremma" (στρέμμα, plural στρέμματα) = 1000 m2.

Maybe it's a point in favour Ton until you read the next observations. B) It seems this item goes worldwide regarding the next link.

New York Times?

#8 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

Wim, can you explain to me where that article discusses the negative impact of these types of development? All I could see was positives. eg

Indeed, signs of an environmental crisis are everywhere in the region. Parts of Greece, Cyprus, Italy, Portugal, Spain and Turkey are facing desertification, or the degradation of once-fertile soil, because of overbuilding, overgrazing, poor water resource management and an explosion in hothouse agriculture.

Ecologically managed these developments solve all these issues and would stop the desertification in a manageable and sustainable way.

The Greek government strongly supports the project, which includes six villages with traditional homes, villas and apartments as well as hotels, sports facilities, restaurants and shops on about 1 percent of the site. The rest will be set aside for trails, nature areas and three golf courses.

All much better than the ad-hoc building style we currently have in Greece.

And maybe a self interest negative question?

“Part of the problem is that sustainability is a difficult thing to measure,” said Brian Mullis, president of Sustainable Travel International, which is working with Leading Hotels of the World to draft eco-certification guidelines for that organization’s 440 member hotels.

Although I do agree we will have to wait and see if its truly sustainable.

#9 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

Indeed Assim, all the pro arguments seem to diminish the contras which makes it even more controversial because if these environmental solutions are accepted the chances are that the whole shebang will be executed. That way Crete loses one of it's prominent landscapes but, "gains" quality tourism. B) Which makes it all even more dubious.

We have been discussing here, and in the Crete Gazette, the grow of sustainable tourism for Crete. Mass tourism is in my opinion not the solution because it creates a huge environmental pollution in all aspects. I believe that the future of Crete lays in a combination of eco and sustainable quality tourism based on Crete's 5000 years of cultural inheritance.

#10 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

Attached File  Der_Spiegel.jpg   316.55KB   3 downloads

There was an article in the German Spiegel published recently in regards to the Kavo Sidero and Timbaki container port projects decribing them both as ecological catastrophies supported by the Greek Government and the church who owns the land (as in the case of KS)
The point is that Crete started getting more and more attention both by domestic and international news agencies who support the ecologists.

#11 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

Well if it's the church selling the land you can be assured the Greek government will give permission for any project. :(

#12 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

Now u said this Iam wandering who is selling the land for the Timbaki port???

#13 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

Just between us both Ton, it's me :(

Here's some old wine in a new bottle (this topic) its dated from 2005.

Athens News.

Somewhere in the back of my head there is some dew (no not the Highland's one) evaporating and revealing lush green fields...

:)