• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

On behalf of a friend I am trying to determine the options for getting from Athens Airport to Kalamata, and then on, direct or via Athens, to Crete in April.
From what I can see, via the ANEN and GTP websites, the Kalamata Kastelli ferry is not running in April.
It also appears that there are no Olympic or other scheduled flights from Athens to Kalamata - hard to believe!!
At the moment it looks like a bus down from Athens and back the same route and then either fly or Anek fast ferry to Heraklion. There is a train service Athens to Kalamata but last time I took it, it was a most uncomfortable ride on unupholstered seats!
Driving a hire car might have been a consideration but the friend will have flown from the sourthern hemisphere and will not really fancy a long drive.
Any suggestions most welcome.
Thanks
Tim

#2 katie83

katie83

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hi Tim

Watch this space!!! A friend of mine is looking into your request and she works for Olympic Airways in Athens.

She is going to call me in about 5 minutes so I will let you know what she says.

Kind Regards

Kate

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Kate. It will be helpful to know from an individual in the know, websites suggest it is a once a week flight from Thessalonki. I will keep my eyes on this space
:-)

#4 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

I went on holiday to a resort just south of Kalamata about 6 or 7 years ago and I have to say the roads around tehre were hideous. It may have improved, but you're probably right in not advising your friend to drive.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#5 katie83

katie83

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

Hi Tim

I think you may get help in this matter by contacting www.olympicairlines.com or www.olympicholidays.com and possibly www.cyprusairways.com.

Hope this helps in some way.

Regards Kate

#6 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

I think the best option is going to be bus.

From Athens airport take the bus number X93 (right outside the arrival doors) to Kifissos Intercity bus terminal. get a ticket from the kiosk.

Kifissos Intercity bus terminal Athens - Kalamata
06:00, 07:30, 08:45, 10:30 (express), 11:30, 12:30, 14:00, 15:30, 16:30 (express), 17:30, 19:00, 20:30 (except Saturday) 21:30 (only Saturday), 22:00 (except Saturday)

express takes about 3 hours and regular 4 hours.

Confirm those times though I am not sure how old the timetable is;
KTEL of Athens
Drakontos & Pappou Streets 10442 ATHENS , GREECE
Tel.: +30 210 5124910,1,4, 5151367

The other option is a taxi of course

#7 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

Thaanks one and all for your ideas, and Assim for the bus info. Several sources, including Olympic themselves have said they do not serve Kalamata. I will try Cypus Airways later,.
Thanks
Tim

#8 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

Tim, did you manage to find a price for the bus journey?

Although I can find timetables online, I can't find a site for KTEL to check prices.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#9 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:16 AM

I'm sure there will be flights in the summer from Heraklion to Kalamata. The schedule was published in a Kalamata paper but I can't recall the airline and I can't find it online. Has anyone else seen these flights while looking?

#10 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:04 AM

Hi Tim,
the Sky Express company flies from Kalamata to Heraklion, but they still have the winter schedule in their site. Check it here: Sky Express Kalamata to Heraklion
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#11 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Yannis, thats one to remember.
In the end, my contact did not need to make this particular journey but it is a route that I have thought about for myself from time to time.
Sorry Emma, never did find the prices.

#12 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

I found it anyway and have made the journey a couple of times now. It's €34 return and €18 single I think. Takes 3 1/2 to 4 hours in case anyone needs the info.

The flights to Crete are looking to be around €100 one way! :lol: