#1 katie83

katie83

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:12 PM

:rolleyes: Callispera every1

My name is Katie and I worked for Olympic Holidays last year in the stunning village of Elounda, down the east coast.

I had only ever been to Kefalonia on holiday. Amazing Island also!!
I had visited Rhodos but only for 10 days training with Olympic.

On arriving in creta, I was in awe of the Islands outstanding natural beauty and of the cretan people, people who made me feel so very welcome. Unfortunately i became very poorly and had to return to the uk where I underwent life saving surgery.

It made me re-evaluate my life and what I wanted for the future and I have decided to move back to Crete in march of this year. I have secured a job in Hersonissos and while it is a sales position I plan on looking for something more when I have settled in the area.

I would like to ask for any good advice regarding Hersonissis, people, places to go and how to make friends. Any advice would be very much appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Effharisto, Kate :wub:

Attached Files

#2 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

Congratulations and we wish you all the success for your future life in Crete B)

#3 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

Katie,
Glad to hear that you recovered and very jealous that you are moving to Crete to start a new life. Have an enjoyable time and welcome to the site B). Please let us know how things go, I'm sure we would like to know. I'm sorry that I am unable to help with any details about Hersonissos but am sure that someone will be able to answer some if not all of your question.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#4 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:14 AM

Wow, that was a shock, thought it was Dave who was moving until I got to the start of the thread (I couldn't help thinking of abandoned olives) ;-)
Congratulations Kate, may it all work out a treat for you.
Tim

#5 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:16 AM

Can't speak specifically for Crete, but generally when moving to another country I would recommend keeping an open mind, trying to learn the local language, get to know your neighbours and try to become erm...I can't think of the word...sympathetic to your surroundings?
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#6 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

Hi Katie

Congratulations!!! I wish it was us but we've got a few more months to wait and possibly longer if the pound doesn't get better against the euro!!

The members 'Koutouloufari residents' (Meg & Jim) live near Hersonnissos so may be able to help you. I'm not sure how often they come on here but when I speak to Meg on msn, I'll let her know.

All the best with the move...

Lynn

#7 katie83

katie83

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

Hi Every1

May I start by thanking you all for the well wishes, it is very much appreciated. Just to say to Emma, thankyou for the advice on moving overseas, I have lived abroad before so I will certainly be going with an open mind!!

When I worked in Greece last year I was lucky enough to learn the basics of the greek language and hopefully this will help as I start out over in Crete.

I have to say though that at this moment I am deeply concerned about the euro. I was expecting at least 1.29-1.30 this has really shocked me, as it stands at the moment it is 1.24. Oh well, I will just have to look after the pennies won't I.

Thanks again to all of you.

Kate x

#8 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

Think i got 1.29 in Athens today.

I brought sterling travellers cheques with me as the exchange rate tends to be slightly better here. mind you, after paying commission, there's probably not much in it.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#9 MidtownGuy

MidtownGuy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

Wow, Brits complaining about the Pound to Euro conversion! Funny!
Imagine being a yankee like me, every year it gets harder to make my visit to Greece. I will be working like a slave to afford my future vacation home in Crete. Seems to me like the British are the rulers of the world when they travel with their powerful currency. You should see them burning a hole through the shops in Manhattan! Only bad thing is when they're home in England I guess...I've been told life there is dreadfully expensive in comparison.

#10 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:40 AM

It surely is, but we have other perks. I sure wouldn't live in the US. You guys work too damn hard for your money.

As a rule of thumb, what you pay in dollars, is what we pay in pounds. So if a beer costs $3, we pay £3 which translates as almost $6. It's seems to be almost the same idea in euros.

#11 MidtownGuy

MidtownGuy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

lol, the proles do work hard in the States, don't they!
Luckily I'm a self-employed artist, so it isn't as bad for me.

#12 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

θερμό καλωσόρισμα Κατε,

To start with the currency comparison thread of Emma and the mid town guy.
£3 (€3.92) for a beer? I suppose it's for one of those huge pints? (for non Brits, and we have some on this forum, that's 0.57 ltr or 57 cl.)

Just to add some European flavour to the beer thread here's a link to the kind of glasses we have in Holland and Belgium Potje bier you may guess which one is popular amongst the Brits, Irish and Scottish pubs we have in The Hague and which group is drunk first B)

Prices vary but are commonly: Vaas 25 cl; € 2.00. Fluitje 20 cl; € 1.80 in general for all Pilseners.

Wonder what this thread 's got to do with Moving to Crete though except for the "welcome" part B) Some member must have been very thirsty. If I'm not mistaken, which I usually am, it started with Katie number 83 who is going to live in Hersonnisos? Or is it Limenas Hersonissou? There is quite a difference between those two. Wouldn't even drink a fast beer in the latter but you got one big advantage if so, it's loaded with fellow countryman on holiday who, I'm afraid, won't add a syllable to your Greek vocabulary. :D

Making friends is not that difficult for "European" girls in Crete. You can easily make friends on both sides. The expats and the Cretan s. And I presume you want to make "friends" not the other kind of friends for in that case you should take care for the "Kamakis".

As for the rest welcome to this board. Did you add some interesting items to your profile? We're a curious lot here on this forum, at least I am, and it gives a certain idea about who is who, what and why not. And if you want to know the questions of others like you and some answers click HERE

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."