#1 Adrien

Adrien

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

Well , hi everybody,
Ok, nice weather is coming back..... so.... if you are around 25 yo, and coming in crete or living there... just let me know! I really wanna meet people!
B)

My hobbies are: motorbike, partying, walking,dancing,.... eveything in fact!

#2 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:51 PM

by, 'around 25 yo', how close to 25 are you looking at??

#3 Adrien

Adrien

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:58 PM

When say around 25, it about between 20 and 35 or more.

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

I am here.
B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

Hi, Adrien - hope you've found more people to meet up with now. Apologies, although we will be out a couple of times in the summer, we don't meet your criteria, being more around the 60 year old mark! Also, we only tend to spend the first night in Heraklion. Hope some of the younger members of the forum respond.

Pam & Bob

#6 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:54 PM

Hi Adrien

We are over in Malia for a week over Greek Easter but already have a full diary of events so won't be able to meet up then.

We hopefully move over permanently in November so may be able to meet then.

#7 Adrien

Adrien

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:36 PM

thanks all for your answers ..... I also hope someone will appear and say: yeahhh I am there.. but finally I don't really believe in it. I have been here for 6 months and still I really think that for someone living here with blond hair, it is not so easy to meet people, specially girls B) . It is too bad I think there are not so many young foreigners living here... Personnally I feel even lonelier than when i was living for one winter in the countryside in a village of 20 inhabitants. isn t it a shame!? I am glad I work 15 h hours a day to compensate :wacko: ;)

#8 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:10 AM

I'm brunette and immature. do I count? ;)

I'll shout out if and when I make it to Crete next month.

Chin up, Adrien, it's almost spring.

B)
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#9 Adrien

Adrien

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:04 AM

Yeah.. a possible meeting!!!!! B)

#10 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hi Adrien,

Sorry, I'm out of your age range (48), but I am coming to Crete on 3rd March for 8 nights. I have a house 20 mins drive south west of Heraklion & I am planning on being in Heraklion town for some of this time (probably around 4th/5th/6th). I have both Greek, English & Swiss friends living in Heraklion, Agia Pelagia, Fodele & Venerato areas, some of whom are within your age bracket.

On Sunday 9th March I'm planning on going to the big Carnival in Rethymon. You're welcome to a lift.

PM me with your contact details if I can be of any help to you.

Ros.

#11 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

Come on Adrien,

I've been wondering about this topic of yours and about your intentions. You want to meet people? Where? On this board? You must be joking. When you live in Crete, for the time as you mentioned, and you have not been able to get to know people I ask my self if you ever will.

Unless of course you have different intentions and don't want to meet people but get laid. B)

Get yourself together and mingle.

:wacko:

Wondering if this "getting laid" thing will be removed ;)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#12 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

Actually Wim, it can be really hard to meet local people when you're living in another country.

we all know how Greek social life is centred around the family and Adrien mentioned he lived in a very small village.

When I lived in France, as much as tried to make friends with French people and watch French films etc, sometimes, I just wanted to chat in English and go see English language films.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#13 Adrien

Adrien

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Emma for this reply
Where were you in France??

#14 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:18 PM

Lyon. Given the huge number of english students there, I'm afraid it was all too easy to not involve myself in French life but I did try and made a few French friends.

#15 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

I don't agree Emma,

Of course it depends with what people you try to communicate with. I've been travelling a fair part of the world and never had any trouble communicating and getting to know people. It all depends what you're intentions are about.

Adrien mentioned he lived in a small village

He lives in Heraklion nowadays and that's an interesting town with lots of students and people of his own age but he seems only interested in girls, No? When I travelled Greece/Crete I often had to hide myself to get not involved in their warmhearted curiousness, aspecially when you just sit down, read a book or whatever and have this relaxed and cool "radiation". :wacko:

But of course you must show your interested in them too for what they are and not for what you want. But that counts everywhere in the world. Making friends is an art a lot of people don't own. Not mentioning making "girl" friends for which you need an MA degree, espicially if they are Cretan ;) The moment you get invited to their home and meet their family you know they have accepted you as a friend. And right meeting the family means meeting the "girls" B)

From what I understand and read between the lines in Adriens threads is that he seems more "interested" for obvious reasons. He described himself and his "interests" rather well he only forgot to place an avatar, his length, the colour of his eyes, his profession and what he's doing in Heraklion.

:blink:

#16 Adrien

Adrien

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:59 PM

Actually wim you re wrong, I m not interested in girls specially, but everyone...By the way, talking about all those students... have you ever been in a bar at night?? first they are not so much and so grouped that you couldn t even thing of meeting anyone, .
It s seems that life doesn't change so much, older people still always think they know everything about evrything... B)
But Even if you travelled a lot WIm, I travelled a lot also and made a lot of friends in each cuntry.... except in Crete??!! because here if you are not a football player, if you have blond hair, people look at you as if you were a monster... and believe me it is true... I have never feel that before.
Concerning My job I didn t really see the interest of mentionning it but if you want to know I am IT support &development manager which in my company ( satellite telecommunication) means writing software and manage all marketing, graphic design.
Also do you really think I came here to find a gril to do??? If you think that, you should really realise how pathetic it is and a generalisation of young people which or not all lie this..

#17 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

Sorry but I am with Wim on this one!

What is the thing about blond hair? You keep mentioning it. People look at you like a monster? I don't believe it. Find something else to blame for you lack of friends, both male and female.

Dare I suggest that you become a little less interested in yourself and your appearance and start to take an interest in other people. That is the way to make friends. What about the people you work with? Have you suggested going for an "after work drink"? If you work with other single people you could say that you were tired of eating on your own and invite them to join you.

The Cretans just love to talk, it is their favorit occupation, have you tried to learn Greek? If not, enrole in some classes, relax, stop thinking about yourself, and you will have more friends than you can cope with.

.......but then I am even older than Wim (by a few weeks) so what do I know?

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#18 Adrien

Adrien

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

B)

Please stop thinking I am interested in myself... I bloody don t car eabout myself and my appearence..!!!!I just say what I see...
I work in a company where we are 5 people... guess, one is 40 and occupied with eork and family, both are a couple of 45 yo with kids, and one is 60.
We work all about 15 hours a day together under ,believe me a hard pressure , so when everyone has finished is day, they just go home... and there is no greek in my company.
By the way wim and john, I don t blame anything for my lack of friends, I just think it is sad being 25 yo and being always on my own, days after days... for a while i wasa going ot bars everyday to have a glass after work, everytime the same one, so that I thought maybe would be easier to meet. Guess, the only words I have ever said there was:Kalispera, Ena gintonic parakalo, and efkaristo, yassas.I m too tired at night to take greek lessons, and also if i had the choice and the motivation , i would take english lessons.... cause I am french and not english, and my job is alll in english. Have you ever heard about french and english language, we are not the best for learning it easilly..;)

#19 Adrien

Adrien

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:45 PM

Oh I forgot to say that I spend some time with my collegues as My boss is my oncle. So usually I do some motorbike with on we... But the thing is that I don t want to be to much in their life... Because then he spend his only free time with me and not his kids, and I feel kind of embarrased with That.

#20 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

OK

So you have shot down every suggestion I have made, but has anyone else come up with any suggestions as to what you should do?

Heraklion has quite a large French student population. Go to the bar again and ask if they know where they all meet. Keep asking in different bars 'till you find out where they meet then go there.

Last suggestion. Change you job. Go to Malia and get a job in the tourist trade. Not as good as working for your uncle maybe but, hey, you are a big boy now. Plenty of girls for everyone, lots of discos etc and you can be friends with your workmates.

I must say that it is good to hear from a whinging Frenchman, it makes a pleasant change from all the whinging Brits who have discovered that living and working in Crete is not "the dream" they thought it was.

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.