5 replies to this topic

#1 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

I've just been checking fares to Crete, was looking at the fares quoted for UK to Athens and I looked at Aer Lingus fares Dublin to Athens and they are much cheaper in a lot of cases.

I posted some prices on the Aegean thread but it may be worth your while at least checking out flying from your destination to Dublin and then to Athens!

There are lots of UK airports serving Dublin, so it may be worth checking the website aerlingus.com and fly from your most convenient airport to Athens via Dublin OR possibly check their fares direct from UK to Athens too!

If you look at fares to Dublin and then look for fares to Athens you might be liable for 2 sets of taxes but there is a multicity option which could even be cheaper or subject to 1 set of tax!!

Anyway, play away with possible flight dates and see what you think!

Starts 30th March to Athens.
Dave.

#2 ellemm

ellemm

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the tip, will check it out - Glasgow to Dublin not too bad.

#3 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:17 PM

We have just booked a couple of long-weekends, September and October. Flying out Thursday night to Heraklion from LGW and returning Monday afternoon (so a full 3 days of bliss....) cost us £212 (FOR TWO) in September, and £250 (FOR TWO) in October. Absolutely delighted and will be looking to do this more often. Got a fab deal on a pick up with driver and the car for 3 days, plus driver back to airport as I suspect we'll have a late night with the neighbours & drinkies etc... for 180 Euros! :rolleyes: :wub: Yep you've guess it - with good old EJ

#4 Hooly

Hooly

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:14 AM

How dare you Lil! Consorting with the devil. You should be ashamed. :wub:

To be fair, since I booked them my out Sep/back Oct flights have now risen £80 for the 2 of us in the last month, but like your 1st dates are still only around £210. Which is the same price as my earlier in the year GB flights were, but obviously no exotic meal or freebies. Hey ho!

The moral being. He who books early laughs longest (unless there's a glut of spare charter seats). :rolleyes:

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:52 AM

Getting cheap flights is a science- and the one overiding scientific law is that if you need to be on a particular flight on a particular day- it is going to cost you!
;-)

#6 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:47 PM

Getting cheap flights is a science- and the one overiding scientific law is that if you need to be on a particular flight on a particular day- it is going to cost you!
;-)

It's always the way, a lot of the "bargains" are usually at inconvenient flight times, not so bad if you're traveling alone.

If you're tied to specific dates and times then there is very little choice.

Even sometimes flights are shared by different companies and fares on the same flight can vary quite a bit.
Dave.