4 replies to this topic

#1 nydbraunstein

nydbraunstein

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

My father-in-law's family is from Hania and, perhaps needless to say, he is incredibly proud of his Cretan heritage. We are planning a family vacation to Crete this summer. It has been more than 20 years since my father-in-law last visited Greece. I know he is truly looking forward to spending time with us (especially his grandchildren!) in his ancestral home.

I volunteered to find our housing in Crete, hoping to impress my father-in-law. One idea I have is to swap our 4 bedroom house in New York (45 minutes from Manhattan) for a home in Crete. Do you have any advice or leads for doing so? I have tried the usual Homeexchange.com type web sites, but they do not have many home swaps listed in Crete.

Cheers and thank you in advance for your help.

PS - Our ideal swap dates would be June 7-21.

#2 Carol Crete

Carol Crete

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:02 PM

Hi,

a very good idea to swap the houses but I'm afraid you won't find somebody that easy...
I know that there are a lot of big houses,the so called VILLAS, which you can rent. With how many persons are you travelling? I think in June you will find really good rates for a suitable villa (maybe with pool?).

Since I live in the area of Rethymno I know only villas in this area, but in the internet you will find something for sure.

Good luck!

Carol

#3 nydbraunstein

nydbraunstein

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Thank you, Carol. We are 6 people, 4 adults and 2 children. I will try searching for "villas" in Rethymno. Maybe we'll just have to rent our house here, instead of trying to swap.

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:54 PM

If you really want to impress your father-in-law try one of these houses.

They advertise on this site so no problems with the moderators.

50 Villas in the Chania area

:mellow:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 nydbraunstein

nydbraunstein

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:18 AM

They look great. Thank you very much.