househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

Hi Hooly

In answer to;

As for estate agents I don't see where you're coming from with that either. We bought a house last year & there are loads of people dealing in property in my experience, some better than others, & most are on the interwebbything.

Where I'm coming from is, from my experience to date, we have emailed quite a few Estate Agent webthingamajiggythings, some have replied but the properties have been sold, which is fine, but others where I have asked details on 3 or 4 properties on the interwebbything thing have replied "sorry that property is sold", which of the 3 or 4 is he/she referring to?

So, I email them back and ask "which property is sold and which of the one's I asked about are not sold"? then never hear from them again! Now I don't know which are sold or not.

Can understand it may be a language problem but I'm left wondering if all of them are sold or not... it can get a bit frustrating.

I know Estate Agents in most places leave Sold properties on their interwebbythinggy so to make it appear that property is more in demand than it actually is, which is why I asked the Forum members for their advice on the state of the market, now I know I should have asked about the 3 markets.

It is very interesting to read the replies and see the different starting points of different people and how they have been made welcome etc. The 3 market segments etc.

I'm not looking for a get-rich scheme but a means of earning a living, we don't need a Yacht and an up to date hi-spec Merc/Porsche etc just an income to live on.

That is no reflection on anyone who has these things just that we don't need them!
Dave.

#22 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:38 PM

For househunter.
The short answer to your inheritance question is that the laws of a country apply in that country. Turn it around, would you expect someone moving to UK, or Ireland, or wherever, to expect their own laws to apply. It is one of the many areas that few people research in detail it seems - yet it really is an area that you should not take short cuts in.
Further, it is my understanding that, in some countries within the EU, their country inheritance laws take preference over and above 'non domestic' wills. For example, you might wish not to leave your kids your property (ie. house) but national laws might mean that they get it regardless.
So, given that the laws of a country, which may be different to ours, apply in that country, then the question becomes what are the inheritance laws in Greece? I suggest that there is nobody here qualified to give such advice. Sorry
PS I'm not a Greek, or UK, solicitor touting for business for the profession!!

#23 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

Hi Tim,

Thanks for reply, the question came to me out of a question I was asked from a friend of mine and her sister who had been left a property in France.

Apparently, they had the option of paying inheritance under the French Laws or under the Irish laws. (EU stuff).

Other than that I know nothing about the subject.

I don't know which one they chose.
Dave.

#24 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

Odd that, your example I mean, as it was France I had in mind whan I mentioned the bit about a country's inheritance laws overiding personal wills. The other problem is that laws change and maybe I am well out of date. I didn't give it though because I do believe that the only safe way on these matters is to seek qualified professional advice- put another way, best ignore what I might say!!

#25 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:04 AM

Hi

I can understand that it is a very complex issue and I'm not asking for you to explain them but can I ask you this..?

If a person from another EU country inherited a property in Crete would they be restricted to complying with Greek laws/rules/regulations or can they ask for the laws of inheritance which apply in their own country to be used instead?

I know it is your job and I'm not asking for information etc just a yes or no would suffice, if you don't mind that is.

In Greece, it is the location of the property and not the nationality or permanent residence of the owner which determines how property will be distributed after the owner's death. It is the same in France and the United Kingdom and many other countries in Europe.

What I believe most ex pats do is to have an English will for their UK assets and a Greek will for their Greek assets. You really should see a lawyer about the Greek inheritance rules as they are different to the UK for example; in Greece, the children and surviving spouse are always entitled to a portion of the inheritance, no matter what the will states. Whereas in England, you are free to dispose of your estate as you wish.

*I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. It is just a summary of my research into the matter.

#26 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:00 PM

Thanks guys, agree you should always use a lawyer/expert and get the proper advice and that the local laws must be followed.

In my question, the property has gone through probate, the local laws/rules/regulations have been met, proper legal advice has been sought ( as I would also recommend) , then comes my question about inheritance tax, if it is more beneficial to pay it in one country rather than the other, "can they have the choice"?

As Fotini says, it is his job and that it's a complicated issue that's why I asked the question, didn't seek clarification or advice, and asked for just a "yes" or "no", if he didn't mind.

It is only in regard to taxation, not wills, obviously the local laws would apply with regard to deeds etc. (as it should be)

Anyway, it as just something I was wondering, it's not really all that important to me. It was just something someone asked me ages ago.

Can see how my original wording can be misunderstood, sorry.
Dave.

#27 Fotini

Fotini

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:11 PM

Househunter , in my opinion, all the issues that have to do with inheritance , are ruled by the the national law of inheritance of the dead
DaveW, I am 28 years old and the idea of me ever buying property , is nothing more than a chimera

#28 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

We asked the same question a while back and was told there was no inheritance tax for children. Not sure about that answer though - although it was a solicitor who told us this. We have made a Greek will for the house in Crete - very easy to do and the solicitor has that. However, we are intending in a few years time to add the childrens names to the deeds anyway, thereby they will each own a portion of the house to avoid any future inheritance tax law changes.

#29 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:47 AM

Thanks guys,

My friends got an Inheritance Tax bill in France and as Irish citizens/tax payers they wanted to know if they could have the option of using their Irish Inheritance allowances instead, if they were able to then it would have been tax free, something to do with EU double tax exemptions.

Anyway it will all be finished by now. Had forgotten all about it until Emma asked the question.
Dave.

#30 Fotini

Fotini

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

Househunter , I am a woman:)

#31 Fotini

Fotini

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

Laid Back Lil , I believe that your solicitor's answer was correct. Although , in Greece , it is a public notary's job to give you the right answer , Any way , as I told before , I have the same opinion .

#32 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

:o

You don't want to be telling him that, Fotini!!

HH will get all hot under the collar and before you know it, he'll be inviting you round for raki.

;) :rolleyes: :lol:
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#33 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:08 AM

You don't want to be telling him that, Fotini!!

HH will get all hot under the collar and before you know it, he'll be inviting you round for raki.

Tell me what??? :rolleyes: :lol:
Dave.

#34 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

Thanks Members,

My friends got an Inheritance Tax bill in France and as Irish citizens/tax payers they wanted to know if they could have the option of using their Irish Inheritance allowances instead, if they were able to then it would have been tax free, something to do with EU double tax exemptions.

Anyway it will all be finished by now. Had forgotten all about it until Emma asked the question.

I forgot to be PC on my PC. :rolleyes:
Dave.

#35 Hooly

Hooly

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:03 PM

hh, perhaps I should have phrased it as "I didn't have a problem" with the agents rather than "I don't see your problem", no offence intended.

To be honest in the dealings I had with the 4 or 5 agents I contacted, I didn't have the issues with sold properties, although the house I bought did stay on another site for a month or so after I purchased it. I suspect that, with the volume of properties on the books for quite long periods in many cases & the multiple agencies, the agents will generally only contact the vendor when they need to arrange a viewing or they get an enquiry. It seemed a very ad hoc system, which is only to be expected I guess.

As for the language barrier, only one of the agents I dealt with was actually Cretan, though my experience is limited to the eastern end of the island. Dutch & Adriatic coast amongst others but no language barriers, unless you count the lady from Yorkshire.

You're also in the dormant part of the year so the arrival of new properties into the books must be much lower & their interest in updating the websites is less.

It has indeed been a most informative thread.
Pete

#36 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

Hi Hooly

hh, perhaps I should have phrased it as "I didn't have a problem" with the agents rather than "I don't see your problem", no offence intended.

Absolutely no offence taken.

My reply was purely to explain where I was coming from.

As you say, it is an informative thread which has been extremely beneficial to me and hopefully others. I have read all the posts a few times and indeed you have added more information about the "dormant" season which is also beneficial.

I did contact a few Estate Agents about 3 or 4 properties on their books only to be emailed back that IT is sold! :lol: so reckon a visit would be better but visiting websites gives an overall view of prices etc.

Will just take notes/ref no's, addresses from websites as it has become confusing due to replies they give. It has been very educational.

Can only go so far with property as I need to check out the school in Heraklion for our son first, and in person, if it is not suitable then we can't make a permanent move!

Cheers

Dave.
Dave.

#37 Fotini

Fotini

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

Emma , I consider the members of this forum to be serious people:)

#38 Fotini

Fotini

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:49 PM

I also want to tell you that all these three years i have been living here , I have consumed more raki , or better tsikoudia, than my Cretan friends have hehe

#39 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

I also want to tell you that all these three years i have been living here , I have consumed more raki , or better tsikoudia, than my Cretan friends have hehe

Everyone needs a hobby!! :lol:
Dave.

#40 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

To make it clear, I was only teasing in my comment about househunter. I don't really think he would be inviting himself anywhere for raki, tea or any other beverage, and he certainly wouldn't be meeting people without his family.

Sorry folks.

:lol:
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.