7 replies to this topic

#1 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:13 AM

Hi everyone. Had a lot of work done on my garden in Crete with cacti and various flowers planted and of course a pergola with seating area - and now have someone to do the weeding as my neighbours have told me my stoned area looks more like a lush lawn than a 'stoned area'.... and so, onto the topic title - I know I cannot take weed killer or such like into Crete and I know I can't bring any flowers, cuttings, etc etc into England. However, can I take bulbs into Crete to plant in my garden? Legally of course! :o I believe I can buy vacuum packed bulbs here and wondered because they are packed like this, with no soil would i be able to?

#2 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:40 AM

I looked at something similar for my mom to take plants to France. I don't know the answer, but DEFRA had good advice. You may need to know the correct latin name for your plants.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:00 AM

They don't even need to be in vacuum packs, if for example, they have been imported from Holland to begin with, then they have been given a EU clearance passport which certifies them disease/pest free, these bulbs could have been sent anywhere within the EU to start with and could have easily ended up in Crete.

These bulbs must not be planted in soil before arriving in Crete.

Plants from your EU garden cannot be brought to another EU country and in fact you should even be careful when giving or receiving plants from a friendly neighbour!

Your safest bet would be to buy them in Crete to start with or even see if the grower's label has a web or email address and order them direct from them for delivery in Crete. Great way of getting good catalogs!

You can also email the UK Dept HERE IS THE EMAIL LINK and they are usually very willing to advise you of the best options.
Dave.

#4 andy & christine

andy & christine

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:01 AM

Hi Lil, i have just had a quick look around and found (www. uk.gardenweb.com) they have a section on Mediterranean plants and garden's they seem to think its OK to import plants anywhere in the EEC ? Yannis will probably know as i may be wrong , all the best Andy

Follow your dreams to the end of the road, never let them fade away

#5 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:32 AM

Lil,

The latest info, dated Dec 2007, HM Revenue & Customs Notice, states
"Within the EU, you can bring in any plant products -as long as they are grown in an EU country, are free from pests and diseases and are for your own consumption".

(For your own consumption means own use- not neccessarily to eat).

The above is for bringing plants into the UK.

Ros.

#6 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

Thank you so much everyone. I was hoping that was going to be the answer.

#7 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:05 PM

You have to be able to prove they are free from pests/diseases hence the Passports.

You cannot just bring your own plants with you unless you can prove they are pest/disease free!
Dave.

#8 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hi Lil,

I can understand why you like tulips, being Dutch, but did you know there grow wild tulips in Crete? They are named " Tulipa doerfleri"

Maybe you find the next link of interest. It also prescribes some beautiful trips in the surrounding of Plakias.

Wild flowers in Crete.

:o
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."