#1 daniel

daniel

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

hi all!
can anybody inform me of the license laws. i have a UK provisional license and was wondering what CC scooter i could buy???

many thanks
Dan

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

Dan
...depends what country you want to ride it in B) .
I think you will find in Greece that you need a full EU member state licence to ride a scooter but not to buy one! :o . It appears that this is also the case if you hire one, although it is not unknown for firms to hire on a provisional and even on no licence at all. All very well until you have an accident and find that you have no insurance.
The other thing is the danger of riding a scooter in Greece, the driving standards are slightly different to that in theUK (that is assuming that is where you are based). Sorry Yannis!!!!!!! ;)
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hi Daniel,

Read more here:

http://www.explorecr...ete-driving.htm

I know the articles does not mention anything about buying, but different licences are mentioned here.

Regards
Birgit

#4 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

...I may well have been wrong. I found this on this Forum.
' Rent a moped or scooter

To rent a 50 cc scooter or moped you need to be 16 years old and have a licence which is issued 1 year before rental. In Holland this licence is called "brommerrijbewijs". To rent a scooter with more cc's you need to be 18 years old and have drivers' licence for motorbikes. Insurances may be different, so double check before start driving!
'
Perhaps your Greek Consul/Embassy could be worth contacting to see if the same applies to purchasing a scooter.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

It is a long time since I was familiar with the law on motor cycles- and it has probably changed a fair bit since then anyway, but I don't think 'scooter' was ever a legal term in regard to licences in the UK. It was motor cycles of various cc and mopeds. You say you have a provisional licence Daniel, but not what sort, I presume a motor cycle. Look at your licence, or the paper version, and it should tell you what you are entitled to ride in the UK. In theory it should be the same in Greece - but don't expect it to be so. Take particular notice of cc or hp restrictions. Moped is/was a legal term and had a very specific definition/meaning.
Whilst the law may say one thing, it does not mean that motor cycle hirers have to provide a machine to anyone who meets the minimum requirements, they,and in practice the country, may impose additional requirements such as having held the licence for a certain period of time.
I am sorry I cannot give you a clear answer, only suggest some areas for clarification. Many who use the forum have experience of Greek roads and choose to avoid two wheels like the plague! If you are eligible, I would expect you to be restricted on cc/hp. Did you mean buy rather than hire? I am sure anyone can buy- but that doesn't mean they can use it.

#6 Fotini

Fotini

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

You can have an insurance without necessarily having a driving licence