#1 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

Kalispera to All,

I wonder if any of you can help me out. I need a photograph of the City (Town Hall) in Rethymnon. I understand it is a lovely old Venetian building. I have had a quick look around the net but unfortunately I cannot find any pictures.

Much obliged for any help you can give.

Caroline

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

I thought I'll find a pic of the town(city)hall to show her B) or so I thought! After about an hour of searching one of those well know sites I have admitted defeat. Caroline, are you sure there is a Town (City) Hall in Rethymnon? I have seen holiday photos of bedrooms, small, large nice and not so nice; nice toilets, not so nice toilets, showers and showers hanging off the wall. Nearly every damn hotel is near by the Town Hall (allegedly!)
Please,pretty Please if any members live in Rethymnon go and take a photo of this blessed place for Caroline and put in on the site.
If not, my curiosity might just get the better of me and necessitate a trip to find this elusive building on our next holiday to Chania. :D B)
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

I was thinking of visiting Rethymno when I head over to Crete in March.

If you're not sorted by then, I'll be sure to investigate for you.

edit: I have to learn to spell and say it first!
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#4 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:45 AM

Thank you for your replies Dave and Emma. There is definitely a City/Town Hall at Rethymnon. I've had a wedding enquiry from a lovely couple who are wanting to get married in that area. Ilias (the guy I do the weddings with) knows the building well, but has no pictures to send me. If anyone happens to be passing I'd really appreciate a picture.

I can see at some stage I need to come to Crete and take pictures of every City Hall on the Island :-) It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it!

#5 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:37 AM

Is it possible to get easy access to the interiors?

Just thinking couples might like an idea of the dimensions of the marriage room.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

Hi Caroline,
I haven't managed to find a photo of the town hall of Rethymnon, but I have found a photo of the room for the civil weddings:
Posted Image
It is the Saint Lazaros room and it is located in Patelarou street, No 14. A fee of 62 Euro is required if the wedding will be performed in office working hours, otherwise the fee is 115 Euro.

Text copied from the site of Rethymnon Municipality (site available in Greek only, http://www.rethymno.gr)
DOCUMENTS for CIVIL WEEDING CEREMONY IN RETHYMNON CITY-HALL (ST. LAZAROS CHAPEL)

• Marriage Licence (certificate of not impediment)
• Birth Certificate
• Passport (residence permit except people from E.C.)
• Application and 62 EURO (by your presence in our office)

THE CEREMONY take place in the Saint Lazaros chapel, which is situated Patelarou str. 14, in the middle of the old city of Rethymnon.
The time of the CEREMONY is, 13.30 Hrs about DAILY, except Holidays, Saturdays and Sundays.
All the documents must be translated, OFFICIALLY, in Greek.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

What a lovely room.

We were hoping to marry in Crete but on a low budget the official translations would probably have cost more than what we (actually mum & dad) paid for the civil service in Dunfermline! At least we had our honeymoon at 'home' in Malia.

#8 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

Yannis, that's lovely. Thank you so much for finding it for me. I will be very happy to send it on to my couple. Sorry to hear you were not able to marry in Crete Ishall05. Official translations from English - Greek are not too pricey. Better than German - Greek as I found out this week!