21 replies to this topic

#1 episkopi

episkopi

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:18 AM

Looking for at least two girls to work the beach at my beach bar outside of Rethymno. Duties include bringing drinks to the beach, collecting money for the umbrellas and setting up the chairs each night. Your office view will be the sea and you will have more fun than you can imagine. Close-minded people need not apply. English speakers only and Greek will not hurt...

Please send an e-mail to [email protected] with a description of your experience and why you want this job. Please include CV.

Thanks,

Spiro

#2 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

Why two girls?
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

because girls look better in bikinis than guys do

#4 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

I bet the pay won't be that great either. It'll suit a couple of girls who are over for the season because they'll get to sunbathe at the same time and still be able to go out at night (or do 2 jobs)!!

#5 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

Yeah I know. Just annoys me when people post illegal job adverts like that.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#6 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

Emma1310,

The job ad is not for Birmingham Lido where political correctness would prevail.

This is Crete, the man is perfectly free to ask for what he requires. It saves him having to make silly excuses why he hasn't given the job to a man or to a pensioner!

One of the wonderfull things about Crete is that it has adopted a "pick & mix" attitude to EU Directives. If they like it they will adopt it, if not they just ignore it.

You will be wanting a smoking ban in restaurants next!

Have you sent off your application?

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#7 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

Trouble is John, I believe in an egalitarian society and just because something doesn't happen, it doesn't mean it isn't worth fighting for. So yes, I know many member states pick and choose which directives they ratify. However, I don't think that attitude should be condoned so I will try to make people think about what they're saying.

The man does not have "a right" to ask for whatever he wants but I suppose I should be thankful he's not stipulating that the girls should be blonde and pretty. Also, I don't think it's "wonderful" that member states pick and choose which EU laws they implement. If they want the benefits of EU membership, they should implement the appropriate laws.

You benefit from those laws by being able to retire and receive your pension in whichever EU state you choose to live, so why should females not benefit from the protection of those same laws? One of the basic tenents of the treaty of Rome is equal pay for equal work and that applies to gender as well as renumeration. This is the reason why if you lived in the UK, you would receive a free bus pass at 60 rather than 65, to bring men in line with women's (previously) earlier retirement age.

And yes, I would like to see a smoking ban in all public places, ESPECIALLY restaurants. I fail to see why I should shorten my lifespan and risk premature death because some inconsiderate idiot thinks he has a right to smoke himself to death.

Now maybe I've over-reacted and your comments were meant in jest, but quite frankly in my eyes, your comments just reveal your true attitude. if I'm wrong then I apologise but I'm unable to give you the benefit of the doubt on this occasion.

#8 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

but I suppose I should be thankful he's not stipulating that the girls should be blonde and pretty

and a size 0!!

#9 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

B)

wouldn't really like to see a size 0 girl in a bikini. can you imagine all those bones sticking out?

#10 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Its not illegal to specify sex or age in job adverts in Greece!
and I agree it saves a lot of time wasting

John the smoking I struggle with. I sit in an office full of smoke and with no windows. I have a health condition which is made worse by the smoke. Yet no one will give up the smoking and the company won't buy an air purifier! It wouldn't take much to have some clean air, this is just seriously inconsiderate and selfish. I doubt even you would feel comfortable smoking in a small room should we ever meet. I am sure you would just pop out for a fag.

ps with unemployment as high as it is here the options of; find another job or complain (and get sacked) are not options. besides whats to say the next office has a no smoking area.

#11 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

When I worked in Edinburgh our offices were located in 2 town houses with basement, lower basement, ground, 1st and 2nd (attic) floor and was a rabbit warren of rooms. The rule for smoking (long before the ban came into effect) was that if you had your own room you could smoke in it or if there were 2 or 3 sharing who all smoked you could smoke as long as a window was open. This was on the understanding that if anyone who didn't smoke popped in and asked you not to smoke you had to abide. This worked well in the main (some smokers didn't care if you asked them not to smoke and continued) but a lot of the smokers actually felt as though they were chain smoking because if someone lit up, they would as well even if they'd just had one.

We moved to new premises (an old church with Phoebe Anna Traquair murals in the main Nave of the church - I can provide a link to a website if anyone knows who I'm talking about or is interested in art and art restoration - it took them 3 years to restore them all) about a year before the ban kicked in and because it was a listed building and also open plan smoking was banned throughout the building. This included the Nave area where it was let out for functions. To begin with it was difficult for the function staff having to explain to people that they couldn't smoke but eventually people were happy with it and then the ban came in so everyone knew.

Anyway, I agree with the smoking ban here but doubt anything similar will ever happen in Greece given the chain smoking that goes on...

#12 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

Emma1310

Quote: "The man does not have "a right" to ask for whatever he wants but I suppose I should be thankful he's not stipulating that the girls should be blonde and pretty."

If you go into a shop to buy butter but the shop tells you that you must have a veggie spread how would you feel? I think that if you are paying you should get what you want. The same applies to employers. They pay the wages, they should get the staff they want. If people don't like it they need not apply for the job. This is called "freedom of choice", and is one of the basic rights of living in a democracy.

Quote: "You benefit from those laws by being able to retire and receive your pension in whichever EU state you choose to live,"

Not true. Nothing to do with the EU. Prior to Britain joining the EU you could draw a UK state pension, and recieve annual increases, anywhere in the world. Since joining the EU, the annual increases are not given to those residing outside the EU. Membership of the EU has restricted rights, not enlarged them.

Quote: "One of the basic tenents of the treaty of Rome is equal pay for equal work and that applies to gender as well as renumeration."

I agree with equal pay for equal work. What I don't agree with is things like the fire brigade and the police lowering their physical requirements so that more femails are recruited. If a female fireman (firewoman?) is not strong enough to carry a sixteen stone unconcious person from a burning building she should not get the job. In this sort of situation your egalitarian thinking can cost lives.

Quote: "And yes, I would like to see a smoking ban in all public places, ESPECIALLY restaurants."

You must be very happy living in the UK now then! What has happened to freedom of choice? Pubs and restaurants should be able to choose to be "smoking" or "non smoking" establishments. Let the customer decide! The last time that I went to an English pub, at Christmas, more customers were outside smoking than were in the bar.

Quote: "Now maybe I've over-reacted and your comments were meant in jest, but quite frankly in my eyes, your comments just reveal your true attitude."

You are correct. My comments are what I honestly think and believe. Perhaps that is why I live in Crete and you live in the UK?

John

#13 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

John

I agree with the majority of your comments as I also agree with what Emma is saying. However one that don't agree with 100% is:

Quote: You must be very happy living in the UK now then! What has happened to freedom of choice? Pubs and restaurants should be able to choose to be "smoking" or "non smoking" establishments. Let the customer decide! The last time that I went to an English pub, at Christmas, more customers were outside smoking than were in the bar.

We have had this discussion in the pub we drink in in Whitechapel. In the surrounding area (Whitechapel High Street and behind the Royal London) there are 7 or 8 pubs (including a student union). If Tower Hamlets borough (or whatever it's called) said to those 8 pubs that they could choose between being a smoking or non smoking pub then I'm sure that they'd all want to be smoking pubs, however that would then lose them the business from the non smokers that have started drinking in pubs because of the smokeless atmosphere. If they turned round and said 50% of you can be smoking and the other 50% non smoking, I'm sure there'd be an uproar from the managers about who would/wouldn't allow smoking. What many of us think would be a fairly reasonable solution would be that establishments selling food (which is technically every licensed premise because beer etc is covered under food hygiene) should be non smoking and smaller local (what I'd call 'old man's pub' - I used to work in one) pubs could then allow smoking but would have to make sure that non smoking staff were catered for in some way.

I worked in pubs for 6 years and the only thing that bothered me (apart from people intentionally blowing smoke in your face, and cleaning ashtrays) was waking up the next morning stinking of smoke (some people would say 'have a shower before you go to bed' but a shower at 1/2 in the morning isn't necessarily a good idea when you want to get a decent sleep). I never had a problem drinking in pubs with smokers (my husband smokes) because most smokers are aware of non smokers and will blow the smoke away from them and will try to keep the ashtray away. It is nice though to be able to walk into a pub and not feel as if you've just inhaled a pack of ciggies!!

I have no problem with people smoking in Crete (or anywhere else) because it seems to be a way of life for most and the pubs don't get as smokey because they can keep doors/windows open during most of the year until it gets too cold but then the vast majority have air conditioning units that I have seen beening used because it's too smokey.

That's my tuppence worth for the day, I'm now going to go and do some work!!

#14 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

"Anyway, I agree with the smoking ban here but doubt anything similar will ever happen in Greece given the chain smoking that goes on..."

I think it will. Once the EU force all Member States to have no smoking laws. I will be in the queue to use those laws to get my fresh air. I wouldn't be so adamant or stubborn about it if I was shown some respect now. But as I don't get that respect, and people still come to my desk with cigarette in hand or actually walk over and then light one up. The only way I can see the laws being enforced is through court orders and I will do that.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ope/6310087.stm

Greece is a democratic country - in fact as the Greeks are keen to point out the birth of democracy was in Greece

from a recent eu study when Greeks were asked
Are you in favour of smoking bans in offices, and other indoor workplaces?

57% totaly in favour
23% somewhat in favour

10% somewhat apposed
9% totally against.

so the majority are for a ban
And as we are all Europeans at the end of the day. 80% of europeans want a ban in Offices,and other indoor workplaces (in fact the same amount as the Greeks in favour and somewhat in favour)

the report was from december 2005 - http://ec.europa.eu/.../ebs_239_en.pdf

#15 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

Emma1310

Please accept my apologies.

I did not intend my throw away comment "You will be wanting a smoking ban in restaurants next!" to hi-jack this topic!

Can we please get back to the original subject?

John

PS I do know how to spell "females".

#16 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

It's ok. Discussions about smoking bans can go round in circles anyway and Assim's comments about his workplace have been useful. As a Brit, it wouldn't have occurred to me to check if people were allowed to smoke in the workplace so it's another item to ask about.

As for hi-jacking, I'm possibly the original culprit there but it has thrown up some interesting thoughts on employment law.

I'm hoping to work as an English teacher and looking at other forums, there have been many comments on the job-hunting process. Many employers request photos with applications and in China and some other Far-East countries, white people are preferred, regardless of how good a teacher someone with olive skin may be. When I saw the request for females in the job advert and your subsequent comments, John, I just wanted to challenge those perceptions. Admittedly I wasn't very tactful about it. You state that you are retired so I'm making an assumption that you are over 50. Those inequalities in the labour market can be just as detrimental to someone of your age in certain areas and I don't think that's fair either.

If I was an employer, I would want the best person for the job regardless of age, gender or race. I'm not naive enough to think that is true of all employers.

You make a valid point about female firefighters. My dad used to be a firefighter and would make the same comment. He had no problems working with women but wanted to know he could rely on his colleagues if his life were in danger. However, I don't think it's fair to ban women on those grounds as there will always be some women who can lift great weights and equally men who can't. I have vague recollections that applicants had to be able to lift twice their bodyweight but I have no idea if that has been altered simply to allow women to join the fire service. If safety has been compromised, then there is an issue there. However, if standards have been reviewed and it's been deemed appropriate to relax them, then it's only right that anyone who can meet those standards should be allowed to take the post.

#17 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

I have read with interest all the comments here. Some I agree with, some I don't. I do agree the best person for the job should be picked. Why the original post was for 2 females has me confused - why not one male, one female? So can't get my head around that one. As for the fire-fighters - as long as the females can perform strength-wise as well as the males then that's good for me. As for EU law - not even going there.... :D As for the smoking bit. Long long ago, possibly 30 years, we had a bar/pub in Enfield that was half smoking and half non-smoking. This particular pub was absolutely packed both sides every single night. We go skiing almost yearly, and hated the fact that the pubs/bars were full of smoke - and like someone said here on the forum that they had to shower before they went to bed etc - us too. We and the children hated the fact that we smelt like an ashtray and our clothes could only be worn for a few hours that night because they stank in the mornings. Now Italy has a ban - no smoking in the restaurants and bars and it is much better. I've no problem designating closed areas for smokers to enjoy their smokes - what I object to is eating or drinking in smoke. I gave up smoking 14 years ago. I have just watched my father-in-law pass away last week from lung cancer. He didn't smoke. After having witnessed that right to the end I do wonder why people continue to self-destruct. However, for those who do continue, enjoy - just don't take me with you breathing in your second-hand smoke! B)

#18 episkopi

episkopi

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

I didn't know that such a simple request - to find two girls - could spark a debate that unraveled to include so many other topics; a smoking ban?!$@$ I am sorry if I offended anyone but as the old saying goes, "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Anyhow, as someone said I am saving certain people from wasting their time. Here in Crete this man has every right to ask anything he wants to anyone. This ad is directed to girls who are willing to do this and over the last 10-plus years I have had no problem during this process. Emma, if you did some research jobs like these employ many a hard-working, content woman in Crete. Look we are not hiring brain surgeons here, we are hiring people to bring cocktails down to the beach and collect money. Now in my experience this is a woman's job, one that every woman I have employed has been more than happy to do. If you need a job this summer Emma, shoot me an e-mail. I guarantee you will have more fun than you ever have in your whole life. I also guarantee you will discover the true Crete. On that note, thank you and good night...

#19 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

I'm sorry Episkopi. It wasn't a personal attack and I appreciate that you have good reasons for your request. I just disagree with the need for it.

I appreciate that some girls will love that job so I hope you find two hard-working girls who will do a brilliant job. Equally, you might find two hard-working guys who would do an equally brilliant job.

#20 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

O.K. Emma,

Back to the "epi" of the "skopi"
The reason why Episkopi (who is he, for no profile) wants females is obvious, if he'd wanted males he'd ask for them :rolleyes: wouldn't he?

Spiro, I think that's his name, wants females to attract males who attract females etc and vice versa....which is good for business and that's the reason for his advertisement . I presume.

You might also presume that it's for more "intrigues" reasons and that could simply be the fact that, in his eyes, females do a better "job" than males. :lol:

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."