• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:29 AM

The "Association Friends of ENISA" is a non-profit organisation based in Heraklion, Crete, Greece. The Association has been founded with the goal of supporting and assisting the presence, the development and the functioning of the European Network and Information Security Agency (ENISA) in Heraklion.

More generally, the Association supports activities contributing to the promotion of Crete as an active region of the European Information Society.

More information about the Association and its members.

Today, ENISA risks to be dismantled, and to see its competencies assumed by another body based elsewhere!

In our opinion, dismantling ENISA

• undermines the development of a secure Information Society in Europe;
  • wastes without reason significant resources already invested;
  • violates the European principles of decentralization and regional development.
We are determined to defend the right to contribute to the European regional development and the evolution of a secure Information Society by supporting ENISA, and we have launched a petition to the European Parliament and the European Council for the long-term renewal of ENISA mandate in its current seat.

If you think this is also in your interest, and in the interest of Europe, please help us by Reading and Signing the Petition now!
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:29 AM

Yannis,

Am I right in thinking that the International School in Heraklion was originally set up for children whose parents were employed by ENISA, and who wished that their children could be taught in the mother tongue of their native country? If this proposed move goes ahead then I would think that the future of the school could also be in doubt. Petition signed and sent off.......

Dave
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

Dear Yannis,

Absolute disagree with the stupid idea about dismantling ENISA. Not only for the obvious reasons but also for the development of Crete in a more legislative direction, which I think would be less harmfull for the environment of Crete than the "agressive" tourist one.

Do you know whether Greece/ENISA has good lobbyists in Brussels? You need them to mould the EC commissioners and seems almost the only way to get things done.

http://www.businessw...44/b4056075.htm

:o
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

Dear Dave,
you are right about the International School in Heraklion. It was indeed created for the children of the people working in ENISA. I think it was part of the agreement. ENISA is important not only for Crete but for Greece in general. I remember that the Prime Minister himself came to Heraklion for the opening ceremony.

Wim,
I got the information from the office of Mr. Stavros Arnaoutakis, who is a member of the European parliament and the ex-mayor of Archanes. He is supposed to be one of the most promising Greek politicians, so I think the case is in good hands, but he will certainly need a lot of support.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

I presume that the school could close too or do you think it might continue if ENISA goes.

Is this anything to do with The treaty of Lisbon?
Dave.

#6 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:59 PM

I would gues the school would stay open if it has sufficient pupils and is a viable business. Perhaps it would depend on it's dependance on Enisa
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#7 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

Don't like if's!!

There's no alternative choice for schools then
Dave.

#8 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

I really am just speculating. You're best contacting the school for more accurate information.

It's Greece too, there things can take forever.

:rolleyes:
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#9 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

Hi Emma, reckon I'll have to go in person to the school as I think it would be better than trying to email them.

Might try to get there in March if I can get flights etc.

Have a funny feeling that this is part of the Lisbon Treaty and as we are the only country in the EU that can stop the Treaty being passed I must try to find out more about it.

How is studying going?
Dave.