29 replies to this topic

#21 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:57 AM

Seems you didn't read all the threads my dear M.

John (retired in crete) mentioned it in his thread and I thought it mattered in view of the sustainable energy topic since as you know, because you read all about this, in combination with a waste water/purification installation which produces hydrogen, provides energy from absorbed energy (food).

Are you still with me? B)

A "faeces unit" fixed to the toilet outlet in combination with a toilet shower. The faeces are pulverized and pumped away in a 50 mm drain while the shower cleans your bottom the only hygienic way I know of; with warm or cold water. A combination with the possibility of warm air to dry the posterior is possible. You can even have it combination with an air extraction. Not a single peace of paper is used which means no unhygienic waste bins etc.. This is an existing known and proven technique. You can find it in any house in the Islamic world.
Think of it. Just sit down, and when you're ready you just pull up your trousers and off you go.

For info: mail me a pm.

It would do great in Crete too, and in combination with a small solar driven waste water/purification installation that produces hydrogen and drinking water as a by-product, you've created your own little "one family sustainable energy solution".

:o
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#22 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

I think the question was rhetorical

I have a nearly 3 year old, so I have the best excuse in the world for buying animated films :o not that I really need an excuse:)

Back to subject or uncle Wim will tell me off again B)
There is a office/apartment here in Athens that was built to be completely self sufficient. Geothermal heating solar electricity etc. The problem they had was convincing the authorities that they didn't need any electrical connection to the mains. To get the building authorised they had to give in and have electricity connected even though they don't need it

http://news.bbc.co.u...ope/7027693.stm

#23 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:37 PM

Thanks Assim,

For your contribution and the link with the reference to the architect and Sol Energy Hellas.

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#24 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:53 PM

I'm not sure how to take that.
did I commit a faux pas with my link?
or am I detecting sarcasm thats not intended?

#25 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:24 PM

B) Assim,

Sarcasme to me has a negative connatation. I'd prefere ironic with the humourous connection, sometimes grim, sometimes stark and maybe even dark.

But in my reply I was just plain serious.

#26 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

Does Crete exceed it's Carbon Emissions quota?

And if so, how much are they fined?
Dave.

#27 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

I don't know if Crete exceeds its Carbon Emissions Quota but I do know that Irakleon power station does.

It is regularly fined some 20 to 25 million Euros by the EU because of the pollutants it emits. However, as the cost of rectifying the problem is in the region of 260 million Euros they just "pay" the fine. (They don't actually pay, as Greece is a nett recipient of EU funds, the fine is deducted from payments made to Greece)

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#28 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

But John, you must admit, they do something in return!

They serve a nice holiday/retiring destination, topped with some pollution B)

;)

#29 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hi Anemo,

Welcome to this forum about sustainable energy.
I checked out the site mentioned above and it came up with this interesting site of yours. Are you the one in the video?

I'm not sure if you are aware of the possibility to "wrap" a link in a text. If you're not check this topic for blue words. I'd like to hear your comments, as a professional, on e.g. the WWF's one and several others. I'm into sustainable energy and ecology as well for I am sure, just like you, that it's the only way to survive the energy crisis without ruining nature. Since this is a site about Crete, with members that have a heart for it or at least hate high electricity bills, :mellow: I'm very interested in your comments and views regarding the present and the future sustainable energy feasibilities for Crete without affecting nature. I understood that the EC has a lot of money reserved to endorse new technologies. Which is a Greek word after all. :o

Would like to hear from you.

B)

#30 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

I saw a background scenery in the above mentioned video of Anemo that made the shivers go down my spine. I also noticed it in the south of France near the Pyrenees, this huge windmills that demolish the landscape for eternity. You may try one of these little mills for home use:

Posted Image

You can see more of these on the next site: Windmils on your mind?

However back to solar energy. I found this attractive solution from the city of Gleisdorf.

Posted Image

It's a piece of art that I'd like to have in my backyard that brings a lot of enlightment...

<_<