22 replies to this topic

#1 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:59 AM

Hello everyone, just joined this forum, looks very interesting, good information etc.

We are hoping to buy a property in Crete but our main priority is finding schools for our 10 y.o. son as he does not speak Greek.

I know of one school in Heraklion that teaches through English, are there any others in Crete?

We have absolutely no problem with him learning Greek (then he can teach us ;) !!) but we do not want to put him under pressure by being taught through Greek.

Also. does anyone have any information about the quality of the school in Heraklion?

I have their web and email address but would welcome comments via PM or on the forum.

Thanks.
Dave.

#2 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:32 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I don't have any information about schools based on personal experience but there is this information from the Living in Crete website.

There is also some information on the Brits in Crete site but I'm not sure how reputable that site is. I know their forums had to be closed as they got spammed to death.

Good luck.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:17 AM

Read about the International School in Heraklion
A friend's son used to go there and he was quite happy with it.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for that, have downloaded and saved those pages.

Am I correct in thinking that this is the only school in Crete that teaches through English?

I heard that this school might be moving (has moved?) to new premises so is it still in or near it's original location?

Just trying to find out where I should be narrowing my property search to, so that we can be within a reasonable traveling distance to without being in the city centre!

All help, opinions appreciated whether good or bad about the school.

Thanks.
Dave.

#5 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

HH- it sounded to me that although the school may need to move, it won't happen for a few years.

This is a link to the school's website and shows its' current location near to the old Venetian harbour.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

Hi Hunter,

If you'd have typed " european school for education in heraklion" Google would have come up with the hit linked in the "european school for education in heraklion" ;)

Good hunting.

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#7 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:46 PM

I love it M,

You were 3 minutes earlier than me. Gosh are we on the same level B)

;)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#8 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

Ah but if you had actually taken time to read my first post you would have seen this:

I know of one school in Heraklion that teaches through English, are there any others in Crete?

and this

Also. does anyone have any information about the quality of the school in Heraklion?

I have their web and email address but would welcome comments via PM or on the forum.

Thanks.

So, if anyone can answer my question I asked

Are there any others in Crete?
Dave.

#9 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

Hi Hunter,

If you'd have typed " european school for education in heraklion" Google would have come up with the hit linked in the "european school for education in heraklion" wink.gif

Good hunting.

Well unfortunately I haven't done this since 2007 and when I did Google I actually came across the School in Heraklion that I have already said I knew about in my initial post but thanks for bring so cynical. I did not post it in Double Dutch, I posted it in plain English saying I knew about it already and was trying to find out if this is the only one in Crete as when I Google for
  • european school for education in heraklion"
  • european school for education in Crete"
  • european school for education in Greece"
  • european school for education"
  • School in Crete
  • etc etc etc

this is the only school I come across, hence my question about if there are any other ones in Crete!!
Dave.

#10 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

I think Wim was pointing more to the location than the school itself HH.

;)

It's looking like that is the only International School in Crete at the moment. Is it looking suitable?

If not, then I'm guessing your son will be having a crash-course in Greek!

I hope you manage to find the right place, anyway.

#11 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

Thank you Hunter, for your comments.

The one about me being cynic is an understatement and no, it did not take me "dutch courage" to reply to your comment. Furthermore I loved your introduction and member profile. It gives us an idea who you are and why you move to Crete.

As for the link to a known road sorry for that. M was right in her reply. It was about the location and showing you all the things you had to know to contact them. Moreover Yanni_s, the owner of this site lives in Heraklion, so if there is somebody on this forum who knows his schools than it is him.

Cheers.

;)

#12 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Em, seems to be the only one school. Doesn't seem to be too bad but will contact them soon, then arrange to visit and see it in person, then I can start looking for property in the area.

Seems like I'll have to buy two properties now as I've come across a few nice ones on the south coast on websites, might even look in mountains instead if I'm going to be getting a place in Heraklion for when he's at school that's why I wanted to know if there was an International School elsewhere rather than in the city, not that I have anything against cities!

It seems that from the few bits I've read about the school that it is quite good (unless anyone knows different).

Thanks Win, glad that having a profile helped. Yannis did reply that he knew parents who sent their children there and were quite happy with it.
Dave.

#13 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

Don't blame you. I only spent the one afternoon in Heraklion and as lovely as it is to visit, it didn't strike me as a place I'd want to live. However, I did read that the school gave priority to pupils who lived in Heraklion.

*ahem* seeing as you're buying lots of spare properties, can I have one too?

;)

Oh, forgot to say that maybe it's an idea to visit local Greek schools for comparison? I'm about to train as an ESL teacher so I've been doing some research and I get the impression that the curriculum in Greek schools is fairly basic so many parents feel they have to pay for extra-curricular lessons to compensate. Although the International School may not have the same range of studies as your son's English school, the curriculum may be a good deal more varied than the Greek curriculum.

#14 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:48 AM

Well thanks again, I don't really mind if he misses out on learning the most international and useful of all languages - Irish!!

and doesn't spend too much time studying the most useful English topic of Shakespeare, which has been so useful to me since I left school B)

So long as there is decent education in Maths, English, Geography, Languages, Computer Studies, European Studies, Sciences then concentrate on whatever he turns out to have a flair for with extra studies, private tuition etc.

Buying a place in Heraklion would pay for itself over the next 8 years of schooling when you work out how much we'd save by not having to travel to school and back twice a day and if he wanted to go to college he could use it, say for another 5 years instead of having to rent somehere and maybe get a bit of income for himself by renting a room out to another student or two.

Was hoping there might be an alternative choice but apparently not, so at least I can use this as a starting point. If I need to live near the school we can just buy a mobile home or camper van (legal, with road tax paid!), park it outside the school, remove the wheels and squat for 8 years......bet that would go down well!! Actually, could be useful if the school moves!! ;) :D :lol:

Just joking!!

or am I :P :P :P ??

Good luck with your studies!!
Dave.

#15 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:10 AM

My degree was in European Studies. Would have been amazing to study it earlier!

Thanks and if you need an English teacher just give me a shout ;)

let us know how it goes.

#16 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:29 AM

Well, you are not backward in coming forward.......I've only been here just over 24 hours and you have already asked me to buy you a house! :o

Now you have the audacity to ask me for a job!!! :o

Was going to get a good night's sleep but now am worrying what you will ask for next!! :angry: :angry:

Car?
Yacht?

Where will it all end??? :wub: :wub:

And all done in public!!! :blink:

Oh you are a demanding woman! ;) :blush:
Dave.

#17 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:56 AM

Buying a place in Heraklion would pay for itself over the next 8 years of schooling when you work out how much we'd save by not having to travel to school and back twice a day

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think that the International School in Heraklion is an elementary school, so your son will be in it until the age of 12. After that he will attend a greek High School for the next 6 years.
This means that you will have to drive your son to his school in heraklion for two years only, if you buy a house out of Heraklion. Later it won't be necessary as there is a High School in almost every town in Crete. Perhaps you should rent a house somewhere in or near Heraklion (for example in Amoudara) for the first two years and then move to your own house in the area you like more in Crete.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#18 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

Oh you are a demanding woman!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

;)

:blush: :angry: :angry:

#19 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing.

huh.gif

Does that mean that the list will get longer?? ;) :blush:
Dave.

#20 househunter

househunter

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think that the International School in Heraklion is an elementary school, so your son will be in it until the age of 12. After that he will attend a greek High School for the next 6 years.

Hi Yannis

Now you got me worried....reading their information on their website it looked like they were going to expand the school as and when those already attending needed to move up to next level.

I haven't contacted the school yet as I was hoping there were other options/choices, but apparently there are no other International School on Crete. It is very good to get this type of information and I appreciate the feedback I've got in the past 2 days since I joined (even though there are very demanding females around!!).

Will wait a few more days for the very clever people on this forum that might have ideas/feedback before contacting the school.
Dave.