28 replies to this topic

#1 andy & christine

andy & christine

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hi everyone , we have finally signed over the house and are starting to move things along, we have found a Manchester firm that will move our personal belongings over, the only problem we are pondering is what to bring and what to leave, what did other members leave behind that they wished they had not, any comment will be greatly appreciated Andy & Chris
Follow your dreams to the end of the road, never let them fade away

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

Their spouse?

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 andy & christine

andy & christine

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hi Win Nice one i left myself wide open for that one Andy

#4 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

Having looked at lots of forums recently about living abroad, it seems the one thing British people miss when abroad is a good curry.

Strange, eh?

I'm guessing what you meant though was 'shall we drag along the saggy mattress or buy a new one out there and is it really worth bringing Aunt Ada's sideboard when you can't stand the sight of it'

:lol:
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#5 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

Hi, Andy & Christine, for a more serious reply.

We haven't actually moved yet, but have given this some thought and we expect definitely to leave behind the following:

Well used IKEA bed
Well-scratched IKEA sofa (we do have 3 cats)
Saggy old dining chairs etc, etc
Old TVs, CD players, washing machine etc

We will definitely bring the following:

One easy chair that my father always sat in, so has sentimental associations
Our dining table, which is a good quality gate leg round table - not easy to find and it's very practical as it folds away.
Books - though I need to cut down from 1000+ to a couple of hundred - that'll take me a month and a lot of heartache
Favourite CDs and DVDs
Favourite pictures and other personal items
My old Le Creuset casseroles and frying pan

I daresay as we go through there will be some deep thinking on what else to bring, but you get the picture.

Hope this helps

#6 andy & christine

andy & christine

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

hi all, we were thinking of my digital imaging and computer equipment, as i do a lot of photography i would imagine electrical equipment will be plenty full there (microwave ovens etc) Andy

#7 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

Oh gosh, yes. You should take that! I imagine you will wnat to document your new life and share images with people back home so the photo and computer stuff is a must. It would costa fortune to replace as well.

As for cds- get them all on your hard-drive and buy an mp3 player. I wouldn't bother taking the actual cds anywhere.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#8 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

I just left everything in my brother-in-laws shed and bought with me and what I was wearing. I had my motorbike shipped over (with a pc and cds stuffed in the saddlebags.) I can't part with that[the bike] I even shipped it to America for 6 months when I went there.

I have been here 8 years now and all I ever got shipped over afterwards was my gate leg antique dinning room table (irreplaceable) and my vinyl records.

If I ever did it all again. I would do the same. It was great living in an uncluttered house for a few years.

I have bought books and cd's since from shops here and also mostly on line from commercial .com places that you probably know but I cant name because of the forum rules.

#9 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:31 AM

Hmmm.

:lol:

I did that when I moved out to France for a year. Took whatever I could carry in my suitcase upto 20kilos and a rucksack.

Within weeks I'd managed to gather lots more clutter and had to get rid of loads when I moved back home.

#10 David & Linda

David & Linda

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

Hi Andy & Christine,

Intrigued by your posting and in particular the Manchester firm, you intend to use to ship you personal effects to Crete.

We have had a place in Crete for just over 12 months now and we intend to move lock stock and barrel in the summer of 2009.

We still have a great deal of personal effects to ship across and would be delighted to know of the firm in Manchester.

if you have no strong objections perhaps we could liaise "off list" - therefore if you agee please e-mail me at david.nuttall@loop.co.uk

Many thanks.

#11 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

A few years ago I spent one year abroad. When I returned to Crete I was glad I brought with me:
1. The clothes I had bought abroad. They were better quality and cheaper than what you find in Crete usually.
2. Some good tea. Good tea is hard to find in Crete, as tea is not popular among Greek people.
3. Furniture I had bought from IKEA. There is no IKEA on Crete yet and it is hard to find good furniture of similar prices in Crete.
4. Alternative medicines. I am not talking about antibiotics, but simple homeopathic remedies for a sore throat or a flu.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#12 andy & christine

andy & christine

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Yannis ,i will make sure we bring you a good supply of tea (Yorkshire tea at that) :lol:

#13 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hi Andy & Christine,

I haven't moved yet, but I did buy & furnish a house in Crete in 2007.
The things I brought over from the UK were bed linen, duvets, pillows & towels.
All my English & Swiss friends who live on Crete said that the choice of these is very limited.
On several occassions last year I was travelling out with a duvet & cover set for friends.
I know they're the things my friends stock up on when they do visit home.

Ros.

#14 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

We shipped out really good quality mattresses for all the beds.!

#15 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:10 PM

We've been told to bring over towels, bedding, curtains, all our clothing, books and anything that we can't part with!

We are starting to go through our belongings to decide what we will won't take with us. We have lots of books that we moved down to London with us (probably half of what we originally had) but we're going to go through them again and decide what we're taking/getting rid of/selling. We'll probably take a few over in March that we can leave with friends...

It's going to be difficult for me because I always think that I might use it one day...

#16 andy & christine

andy & christine

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:41 PM

Thank you all for your input, Andy

#17 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

I would concur with the linen. Even my Greek friends would buy theres in London if they had half the chance.

Yannis , you don't have carrefour on Crete yet? I think I would consider that lucky, but they do do a wide range of tea's even tetleys :lol:

#18 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

I thought I heard there was a Carrefour in Heraklion? :lol:

Bet it's not very big though. God, I love Carrefour. it's like supermarkey heaven.

:D

#19 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:59 AM

Well, there is a Carrefour in Heraklion, in the Amoudara area. It's big enough, but my favourite tea is not there: Twinings Assam :lol:
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#20 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:27 AM

I'll bring you some out in March Yannis !!!