17 replies to this topic

#1 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

Hi everyone. I am thinking of organising a photography holidays to Crete. From the pictures which are already posted on the site, and for those of us who have visited Crete, we can see what a wonderfully photogenic island it is. Some visitors are content to just have a collection of holiday snaps, which is absolutely fine, but for others with a passion for the medium, what do you think about the idea of photography-based holidays on the island? I am open to feedback, ideas and opinions.

This concept is in it's infancy at the moment, and I'm just putting some 'feelers' out to see what the reaction is from the members here. So what dya reckon?

Caroline
Visit My Website

#2 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:34 AM

I spoke to someone a couple of months ago who had been on a photography course. Their complaint was that the course didn't match up to expectations. It was billed as a digital photography course but was more about how to use technology to manipulate photos taken digitally. What they really wanted was a course on how to use a digital camera, I think.

Anyway, to get to my point! I think it would be a good idea but be sure you get the right sort of course/instructor/description going.

It would be an ideal way to get people to parts of the island they've not seen before and guests could exchange ideas amongst themselves too.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

Nice one, thanks Emma. My plan is for the holidays to be completely field-based. I've been on one photography holiday myself. Everyone has different needs, expectations and skill levels, so you're absolutely right, it is essential to make sure participants have a clear understanding of exactly what the holiday would be about.

Many thanks for the comment B)

#4 andy & christine

andy & christine

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

A good idea, I'm sure there will be a lot of people interested. Andy
Follow your dreams to the end of the road, never let them fade away

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

Would do great, and give a lot of extra substance to a holiday.
It could be incorporated into the Cretan/Greek music workshops I wrote about in my "music" topic. A workshop painting/drawing/sculpturing and the art of Cretan cooking could even make it a complete package for an artistic holiday in a little village like " The Explore Crete" one B) or any other village that has "it".

Only thing is; I'm afraid nobody would leave.

:D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

B) Wim, sitting at work in a gloomy office under the grey skies on a freezing cold day in the UK, and a Cretan Creative Village sounds absolutely wonderful. Yeap, I'm pretty sure nobody would want to leave!

#7 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

Sounds like a lovely idea. I'm currently learning how to properly use my Digital SLR camera functions and would lovel to be able to make the most of it snapping photos in Crete.
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#8 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Excellent, I'll sign you up then Tinks LOL. Hope you're having lots of fun playing with your new camera. What did you get?

#9 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

And I thought that the The Explore Crete was to be founded and at least partially inhabited by members and contributors of this forum? Not so many Cretans here, so I'm wondering just how typically Cretan this village may turn out to be?

It is not least because of this reservation of mine that I have elsewhere indicated that I'm not particularly interested in joining this project. And that way we can all be happy B)

But good luck with the photo trip - may I suggest that the focus (sorry!) could be on digitally photographing Crete, as opposed to general digital or other photography.

#10 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

Henry, the idea I have is to have organise week-long trips, travelling to picturesque locations in Crete to take photographs. It is the choice of the photographer whether they use film or digital. I've not really been around this site much lately to up to speed on what the Explore Crete village is. Coincidentally, one of my favourite photographers who has taken pictures in Crete lives in your home town. Thanks for taking the time to contribute to the thread.

#11 andy & christine

andy & christine

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hi Caroline, I'm glad you are not forgetting about the people who still use 35mm (i still use it alongside my D40)I suppose i will never abandon film , but i still love digital Andy

#12 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

Hi Caroline,long time no chat1
Nice idea!
However,a lot to consider.
How technicaly informed are you about your subject?There is always a chance of a customer being much more than a keen amature!
However,judging from some of your pics,you are obviously pretty competant,but to make this work,you need to be able to find ways to take your clients photography to a higher level with results they can see for themselves.
Also,after looking at other ventures,like for instance painting courses,and Greek cookery courses,cost can be a prohibitive factor for many.
There is the cost of the air-fare,accomodation,transport ,before you even think about your own cost or making a profit!
However,Im sure you are aware of much of this,and should you get it going,I wish you every success.
Would I be right in thinking your main area of Crete is in the west?
Though we have travelled end to end,my main area is decidedly the East of the island,so if you need any help or advice about the east,Im more than happy to help where I can.
Anyway,hope this has been of some help,if only in semi-critical way!
Best of luck,Steve.

#13 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

Hi there Steve B! How are you?

I have indeed considered all of the above. I am pretty well technically informed about my subject. Since we last spoke I have studied photography at College and been awarded with Distinctions for all assignments, I have also received a special award for being the student of the year, I have been published in two international photography magazines and I currently have an exhibition running. However, it would not be me leading the course, it would be professional photographer, who runs photographic courses for a living as well as running his own photography business. Crete is a destination we are considering and he is offering photographic holidays in France, St Kitts, Venice and Iceland for this year. I just thought I'd put something on here to see how much interest it generated. My Greek business partner who I organise the weddings with has some excellent contacts within the hotel industry so we are all working together with a view to offering a realistically-priced and good value for money holiday/photographic experience, catering for all ages and abilities.

My photography is somewhat improved since I uploaded the images I have in my galleries here but I continue to learn everytime I go out with my camera. I don't deny I still have much to learn but I am already being asked by people locally if I will teach them, so I must be doing something right ;)

Lippon, thanks for the feedback, if I need any further info on the East I'll be sure to drop you a line.

Good to hear from you, I hope you are both well.

#14 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

hi again Caroline.
Just to say Ive visited you site and looked at the gallery.
VERY impressed!Go for it gal,your pics have always been good,now they are even better!Excellent photo's.Steve

#15 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

Thank you for looking Steve. Thanks also for your kind comments.

#16 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

I think this is a great idea. Maybe you could even get a grant from the EU? The tourism industry in Greece needs to be more 'up market'. As the prices of the hotels, taverna's and coffee shops rise to that of the rest of Europe, the cheap package type of tourist will move further afield, to cheaper resorts. As the demographics of the tourists changes, so too does the service and types of holidays. I think Greece needs to become a niche market, and holidays of this sort; photography, trekking, walking, painting, greek cusine courses, etc will all benefit.

If you decide to go ahead with this I wish you luck, and would even be interested as I can see from your photography site I have plenty to learn in that area :o

#17 andy & christine

andy & christine

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hi Caroline, i loved gallery three on your web page if customers come back from Crete with pics of that standard,you cant go wrong
Regards Andy

#18 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

Thank you very much for the feedback Assim and Andy.

I completely agree with you Assim. I would love to get funding for this from the EU. that it would be great to enable Crete and Greece to embrace the idea of upmarket niche or special interest holidays. I think photography holidays would fit in very neatly with the other special interest holidays you have mentioned.

Andy thanks for your kind comments about my site. I'm a big fan of black and white myself too.

I have had some good news regarding my website this week end, which I will share with you when it is confirmed :o

Thanks again
Caroline