hi all check out ej site, lgw to her march to sept happy new year 2 ya all

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

Is there somebody on the forum who can translate this abracadabra and/or move it to the topic "how to get there"

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

:D

Hello everyone

Check out EasyJet site. London Gatwick to Heraklion from March to September.

happy New year to you all.

B)

Is it a new route or something?
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#4 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

This is not a new route as such (Easyjet London Gatwick LGW to Heraklion HER) What has happened is that it was a British Airways Route which was run on their behalf by G.B. Airways - and very good it was too. BA have sold it off to easyjet, I believe effective from some time in March. There is much written about it elsewhere, some see it as good, some not so. It is a schedule flight not charter, but not year around.
Hope this helps
Tim

#5 Katarina

Katarina

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

Bad news indeed! Having no experience of them, I had no opinion about EasyJet buying the GB route. But up until yesterday I could book a return flight from Crete to London for around 200 Euros. Why o why didn't I commit? Today it is no longer poss to book with GB, and EasyJet are offering the same dates - but for around 300 Euros! That's a 50% increase overnight! Does anyone know whether, like GB it gets more expensive the longer you leave it or is htere a chance the price will drop if I hold out?

#6 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:41 PM

I have seen prices from both British Airways and easyJet go up significantly, or seats being sold, while checking with my wife if the dates and times and so on suit her. I distinctly remember when booking flights to Edinburgh three years ago a five minite delay in confirming a booking with BA cost me about £50 (or 70E). By the time I discovered this easyJet would have been the cheaper option (both flying from Bristol to Edinburgh), but of course that might have changed too over the next few minutes!

#7 Anthony

Anthony

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

We have two flights booked with GB one in May and the other in September and like everyone else are waiting to hear from EJ. What worries me is that we are booked to return on 4th October but on the EJ web site the last flight out of Heraklion is 28th. September. Have been looking at other Airlines / Travel agents and found that A1 Travel are shewing EJ flights out of Heraklion up to the 10th. October, so still none the wiser. I have Emailed EJ but they cannot give me an answer as yet.

#8 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:53 AM

I am afraid that appallingly slow reponses to correspondence are the norm with EJ- their supposed low fares do not allow much for admin staff- and provide an easyexcuse (geddit?)
Their email format used to be [email protected] so if you can find the name of a senior EJ person, try sending an email direct. In the past it has bypassed the log jam and been a useful tactic.

#9 Hooly

Hooly

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

Anthony, have they "not been able to" or simply "not" given you an answer? I'm interested, as like many who view here I have a number of GB flights in 2008 moved as a result of the takeover, but having used eJ several times before am aware that the wait for the block of post September flights to be released on their booking site is highly frustrating.

We're also trying to sort a weekend away later in the year to another venue via Ryanair & their site only goes to 15th September which is just as annoying. So eJ are not alone, but I'm afraid you get what you pay for. There's probably only 1 winner in all this, The Bland Group, who've got their £103.5m tucked away somewhere.

But then are BA much better? They sent me an email on 3rd January asking if I wanted to add extras to a booking for April they would no longer be operating.

The OFT, who was the regulatory authority, released it's 20 page report on the takeover last Thursday OFT eJ/GB merger report which includes that
"The OFT found that a number of potential competitors remained at both LGW and London airports generally, and that GB Airways was limited in its ability to compete with easyJet pre-merger by the terms of its franchise agreement with BA. The OFT found that the merger could even result in enhanced competition between easyJet and BA, and hence there would not be a weakening of potential competition as a result of the merger"
but I presume that relates to the shorter routes where other carriers provide alternatives, i.e. not Crete.

I'm no legal beagle but of course the report makes no mention of the guarantee that the "full" summer timetable will be honoured, in fact it is mainly concerned with overlap routes, slots etc & the much bigger picture.

I guess we'll all have to rely on the original BA statement "On completion of the purchase of GB Airways by easyJet, customers who hold a BA/GB booking involving any travel from 30 March 2008 to the destinations below will travel on an easyJet flight." until the October eJ schedule is released. :rolleyes:

Pete

#10 Anthony

Anthony

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

Below is an extract from EJ's reply

"From 30th March 2008 easyJet plans to fly the published GB Airways summer schedule under the easyJet brand. On completion of the purchase of GB Airways by easyJet, customers who hold a GB Airways booking involving any travel from 30th March 2008 will travel on an easyJet flight. Alternatively they can claim a refund. Further details will be provided by easyJet once the purchase is finalised.

I regret that I am unable to answer your specific questions (or offer details on how to obtain a refund) until the purchase has been finalised, which is expected in early 2008. Please wait to find more information published on easyJet.com and BA.com."

We can only wait and see.

#11 Hooly

Hooly

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

Not sure whether anyone else had already received theirs but I am finally the recipient of emails confirming the transfer of my GB flights to easyJet.

Details pretty well as expected with 1 free hold bag up to 20kg per passenger plus 1 free sports equipment bag. So I guess my old golf bag cover, which is about the size of a coffin for a 30 stone man, will have to come out of storage & can be used to transport the gallons of raki & olive oil back! :o

So, if you've been waiting like I have, you might want to check your emails and look amongst the 3000 spam items at around 13.39, if sent at the same time as mine.

Pete

#12 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:46 PM

We've just booked a long weekend from LGW to Heraklion for £424 for 4 of us - Thursday night to Monday afternoon. Pick up from airport to drive us to Souda... car for 3 days, plus driver back to airport 170 Euro - can't be bad! B) B)