7 replies to this topic

#1 sunseeker

sunseeker

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum and I am looking for advice pertaining to land that my father bought in Crete just before he died in 1989.
We know that he definately bought a substantial amount of land on the island of Crete but we have no details of its location or exact acreage. This is because my father was living in spain when he died and details of the land have been lost.
I just wondered if there was any way we could do a search on his name and maybe date of birth or passport No. on a website which details title deeds for land and property ownership.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We have never visite Crete or even Greece before so have very limited knowledge of how land and property are bought and legally registered. My father visited Heraklion frequently and was hoping to one day build a golf course and house there.
Thankyou

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

There must be something like a land register in Crete. Can't imagin there wouldn't be one. If not, than you have a serious problem and you can forget about it all since you have no dates nor area, only the name from your departed father.

In case there is one you may hope it's been digitised, imagine going through all these written records.
Asking a lawyer for advise is the first thing I'd do though.

Wish you luck or a board member with the right contacts on this matter.

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

I'm not sure how organised land registry is to be honest. Have you not seen the reports from the Peloponese of unscrupulous people taking advantage of fire-ravaged areas to start building illegally on land they do not own?

Makes me think that maybe it is quite difficult to check on land ownership.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

If that would be the case M., I'd probably never buy a peace of land on Crete. Before you know your are buying someone elses land without him nowing it. B)

:D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Oh I'm sure there is a way, but maybe it's not quite so accesible as in the UK.

Hope you manage to discover the answer Sunseeker.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#6 Mieke

Mieke

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:41 PM

You probably can't find out without a lawyer.
Even when you manage to find the piece of land yourself, the next thing you'll need is a lawyer.

#7 Fotini

Fotini

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

Sunseeker , did you get my personal message?

#8 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:32 PM

There is a land registry in Greece but it has no central computerized system. Every local area has its own Land Registry where all transactions regarding real estate are filed.

And then theres the 20 year trespasser law;
Under Greek Law, if someone enters your property, and cares for it for a period of twenty years, this trespasser can then claim the land as their own

full article here

Its going to be expensive if you don't know where it is. But you need to get a lawyer to search the registries for you. If its the size to build a golf course on its probably worth it.
Good luck!