5 replies to this topic

#1 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

Well, seeing as I couldn't post this in the reviews thread, I shall try here.

I'm possibly laying myself open to abuse here by admitting I've never seen the film Zorba the Greek. (Can I blame it on my youth?)

Indeed, I only discovered last week that it is based on a book by Nikos Kazantzakis :wacko:

So I basically want to know if it's any good, what's it about and should I watch the film or read the book?

:o
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#2 Fotini

Fotini

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:57 PM

I suggest you read the book first .

#3 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

Well since in every post you quote Horace (who is an early 'Roman' poet - 65-8BC), I fail to see any excuse that you have never heard of Zorba the Greek.

As with many Kazantzakis books, Zorba is superb. It tells the tale of a worldly Greek and a naive Englishman. "Am I married, it is the full catastrophe" and other quotes like that make it a sincere mistake to neither read Zorba or watch the film - which is in black and white, by the way. Plus it is set and also filmed in Crete.

Don't hesitate, it isn't dated in any way.

Ray

#4 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:26 PM

Oh, I'd heard of him but only in the way he has passed into the English consciousness in a similar way to Spartacus or other old films.

I prefer books to films but I notice that the film won an Oscar for cinematography so I shall take Fotini's advice and read the book before watching the film.

Horace is brilliant for quotes, isn't he? :o Unfortunately my classical education didn't extend much beyond Virgil and Homer.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:13 AM

I simply love people who read the threads on this forum. Ever heard of Madame Hortense M?
Actually you'd love this movie. It fits your way of life. I think.
Anyhow here's the dance that made this movie famous and the sirtaki a cliche. But not the writer. :o

Zorba's Dance

:wacko:

Knowing you, a bit, you'd prefer the book aswell as the others K. wrote.
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:38 AM

It was your comment about Madame Hortense that reminded me to ask, Wim.

I've seen the dance clip but that's all.

:o

Will request it from the library.