16 replies to this topic

#1 antreas

antreas

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

Where are you going too?I guess Crete,but where exactly? B)
Antreas.

#2 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

I have no idea. I shall make it up as I go along.

B)

Maybe the north-west coast though.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

Sadly, probably not! But you never know ...

#4 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:36 AM

No plans set at the moment, but I'd love to go back to Tavronitis again.
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#5 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hoping to be over at Greek Easter and then the next time is likely to be when we move over in November!!!

#6 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

I was in the Peloponese for Greek Easter one year and it was lovely apart from the kids letting off the loudest firecrackers ever,

B)
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#7 Doggy

Doggy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

1st post so be gentle with me!

We usually go to Makrigialos in May for a few weeks. Many friends there that we have met over the last 8 or 9 years. Next year is less certain due to the BA sale to Easy Jet, although we will probably still end up going.

Doggy

#8 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:54 PM

I was looking at flights today but for Athens so had more choice.

Please don't take this as a criticism, because it isn't meant that way, but don't you get bored going to the same place year after year? or do you perhaps use it as abase while you explore the region?

#9 Doggy

Doggy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

No offence taken.
We haven't just been to the sout east, once upon a time, before our dughter, we had two hols a year and so we have been to several other Greek Islands and the mainland, but we fell for Makrigialos! Our daughter loves it too. I can't say I get bored, we have done lots of the touristy trips so we generally just go to unwind and even though it is a little bit touristy in places it's not in your face like other spots on the island.

#10 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:32 AM

Ah I see.

I don't get to holiday very often so when I do, I like to see everything and visit lots of new places. I guess I'm not very good at just relaxing.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

#11 Mike &Jane

Mike &Jane

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

In answer to the question "don't you get bored visiting the same place every year" One of the joys of returning to the same place is that you make friends, you see a place develop and change, sometimes for the better sometimes not. Crete is unique in that it is such a large and diverse Island there is always something new to discover. When you are young it is right to learn as much as you can and try different places, but as you get older you appreciate the less dramatic but nevertheless interesting discoveries.

Having said all that we are booked to visit the Peleponnese next summer (just for a change) it will be our first time on mainland Greece. I have no doubt that we will return to Crete if not next autumn, then in 2009.

Love from Mike & Jane

#12 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

I agree Mike & Jane, we have been 'holidaying' in Malia since 2000 and have made friends with locals and brits (living there or going on holiday at the same time every year). We have explored other areas but now we go over to spend as much time with our friends and always feel like we are going home when we land at heraklion and saying bye gets harder and harder each time.

We are hopefully moving over in November next year so our Easter trip will be our last holiday for quite a while!

#13 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

Mike and Jane, I went to Stoupa in the Peloponese about 8 years ago. It was barely developed at that time but I'm sure it's changed since then. We had a lovely time exploring. I'd recommend Mistras and the hill villages which were built like small forts.

#14 Doggy

Doggy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

We also went to Stoupa about 8 years ago, might have bumped into you :o
We loved Mystras too, I bet it's not changed too much as it's hardly on the tourist trail and is quite difficult to reach. I remember feeling quite queasy on the journey from Kalamata. I also remember a superb taverna run by a charmimg english couple whose food was probably the best I've had anywhere. Can't remember the name unfortunately. The place was always packed and the lady was front of house and I think John was the cook, who took delight in showing us round the kitchen. I wonder if they are still there?

#15 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:42 PM

WE used a taverna run by a Greek couple. My parents had spent a lot of time there the previous year and the owners remembered them. I forget the guys name but the lady was called Allekka (sp?) and had a beautiful blonde daughter called Elefteria. She was a university student in Athens and I understand the taverna became very popular with the locals when she was home from school!!

:o

#16 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

Yes Mystras was impressing. And so must have been Elefteria. Who said "What's in a name" :o
Almost spent a whole day walking amongst the ruins of this famous late Byzanthine ghost town. It was founded in 1249 by Guillamume II de Villehardouin by means of building a fortress on top of the hillside "Taÿgetos".

Here's a pic of it.

Posted Image

BTW M, did you mean Spurius by using "sp" ? If so you are way out of your league :wacko:

:wacko:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#17 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

No, I meant spelling. I have never seen the name written down and although i know Greek is phonetic, I wasn't sure how to spell it.

wasn't sure about Elefteria either as I've only ever seen it in Greek. It's a beautiful name but somewhat overused unfortunately.