9 replies to this topic

#1 eputhlad

eputhlad

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:35 AM

We were in the West of Crete a year or two ago (or was it three or four?)

We are now going to the East - Stalis on the 18th September to the Nefeli.

Anyone else going?

We are 50's/60 couple from the Norfolk/Cambridge area.

Heavily into lazing on the beach + Amstell and greek salads :o

Eputhlad

#2 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

I am 73 years old and am travelling to Crete alone for three weeks starting 2nd September. I will be wandering around the villages playing a piper's tribute to the civilians who died in The Battle FOR Crete. I hope to visit many of the less well know memorials. May bump into you.
Bill Jenkins
Liverpool

#3 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hi Bill,
I'm arriving in Crete 30th August for 5 weeks. I will be staying in a small village called Kerasia which is near to Venerato. A small road which goes from Venerato through my village leads to Ano & Kato Asites (about 3 kms away). If you're going to be in my area I would be more than happy to offer you a glass of something to whet your whistle!

Ros.

#4 Antero

Antero

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

Hi !

I'll be in Stalis from the 17th of August for 3 weeks .

Andrew

:) Attached File  pic_01026488_c48652.jpg   248.65KB   8 downloads
András

#5 JohnLines

JohnLines

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:37 AM

Dear Bill,
I live on the east side of Crete between the resorts of Malia and Sissi, if I can help with lifts to and from Heraklion airport/Port or with accommodation please contact me.

John

#6 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

Hi,
Me again. I will be arriving in Crete on 2nd September. Will stay a few days at DESPO HOTEL, Gouves. Wiil be having a nice Retsina at about 2pm and then planning my journey through Crete. There are many tiny memorials I will be seeking mostly in the mountains and the southern coast. No plans as yet - just relying on the guide who has seem safe round the world - God. I hope to have wreaths to place as I travel but feel that the normak poppies whilst perfect for Remembrance Sunday etc. may not be appropriate for the civiliian memorials I hope to visit. Is there a National flower for Crete ?

Will keep you inform of my intinerary but experience has taught me to leave my plans in the hands of the Gods.

Bill Jenkins

#7 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

Hi John.

Change of plan. Will now arrive at Despo Hotel, Gouves on 9th September 2008. So far have 26 memorials on my list. Will I be able to visit them all ???? My first visit will be to ARCHANES on 10th or 11th. I have not quite worked out if there is a memorial there or whether I will make it my first tribute in uniform playing my pipes. I have commissioned 20 wreaths to lay on my way round Crete but stiil no set plan. Fancy a wee dram in the Despo on the 9th. ?????
Cheers Bill

#8 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:16 PM

Hi Bill what airport are you flying from on the 9th of Sept and what time,we fly from MAN at 5am if same we could have a chat Rod

#9 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

Hi,

Great. I am on Air Malta flight at 0500 hrs. MANCHESTER to Hereklion. You will know me by the amount of luggage. Beside my personal gear I will have two big boxes with wreaths in them.

Bill J.

#10 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:54 AM

Looking forward to meeting you at MAN on the 9th SEPT we get there early ROD