42 replies to this topic

#21 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

Like everyone else I have been following the news about the fires on Mainland Greece. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone. It really is so unbelievably dreadful. I cannot comprehend why anyone would want to start these fires deliberately. Poor Greece.

#22 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:09 PM

The whole thing is unbelievable, Yannis.

I hadn't realised it till reading this thread, but although I've been following the story with horror, I would have been utterly devastated if this had happened in Crete. I realise that says not good things about me.

I hope they catch these people and throw the book at them. And I'll light a candle for the victims.
Sheila

#23 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

My thoughts go out to everyone in Greece at this time.

I am sure the people will pull together and the Country as a whole will recover, it may take some time. But it will happen.

I agree with all the comments so far made on this thread.
Ian

#24 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

A diplomat of the European union has talked about the construction and building Mafia threatening the southern countries of Europe: Greece, Italy, France, Spain and Portugal. Is it a coincidence that all these countries suffered from big fires this year?

A Greek reporter has a theory which looks convincing enough, although there is no real evidence. He believes that the fires in western Greece (not in Evia, because that is central-eastern Greece) have to do with the Ionian highway which will be constructed in western Greece after 6 years. He showed a map with the Ionian highway drawn on it and it is true that all fires in western Greece are located along the future highway.

In the meantime the government has announced nothing about the cause of the fires. Everybody knows that it is arson and there have been arrests, but the people of Greece have no information whether those arrested are the real arsonists and who is behind them.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#25 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

Greece and her people are in my thoughts and prayers at this awful time. I cry reading the reports as there is nothing I can do to help her or her people. May God be with you all in your time of need.

#26 Elenitsa

Elenitsa

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

What can you say? I really can't find the words.

#27 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

As the news of this seems to havce dried up in the UK,can anyone tell me what is the latest on this dreadful event?

#28 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

Here is the latest news:

Fire Fronts in Arkadia 31 Aug 2007 12:41:00 (Last updated: 31 Aug 2007 21:06:09)

Source www.ert.gr

The situation of fire fronts in progress is worrying. Constant rekindles are taking place in Gortynos of Arkadia, in Vlachoraptis, Sarakinio and Atsicholo. Flames that reached Kotili were put under control. However, Mavria and Kastanochori villages are being threatened. Firefighting forces are trying to control the situation. 7 villages that had evacuated 24 hours ago are now being evacuated for the second time. In Lakonia, in Agroianous of Parnonas the fire has been reinforced by strong winds. Ground forces are battling to reach the gnarled area the fire is burning. In Olympos two rekindles were reported. However, the situation is under complete control by the firemen.

All night battle with flames

Ground firefighting forces battled with flames all night in Gortynos and Megalopolis municipalities. The fire which rekindled Thursday at noon spread to short distance from DEH power plant in Megalopolis. This fire front is abating at present while aircrafts are dropping water in the region since early morning. According to Gortyno mayor, Kostas Mihopoulos the is divided in two sections, one burning near Blahorapti village and the other near Mabria where efforts are made to bring it under control
According to the General Secretary of Civil Protection there is danger of fire blasts in Corinth, Achaia, Ilia, Arkadia, Messinia, Lakonia, Zakynthos, Kerkyra, Aitolokarnania, Lakonia, Zakynthos, Kefallinia, Lefkada, Preveza, Arta, Ionnina, Thessprotia, Magnissia, Larissa, Pieria and Kozani on Saturday.

Under Custody for Arson

Meanwhile, under the District Attorney’s decision the 62 years old who was accused of arson in Areopolis and Neos Oitylos is taken into custody. The Authorities proceeded to the above decision after a testimony given twice by the Hayward of the area.
In Thessaloniki, 22 years old farmer accused of starting a fire when he dropped his cigarette in the countryside was set free. The fire that burnt half a hectare was caused by the light cigarette. The 63 years old that caused fire in Drakonteio of Lagada during electric welding was also set free.

Translated by Chrisanthi Sarantis

#29 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

Hi, Ray and thanks for the update. Fingers crossed there's no major new outbreak. What Greece could really do with now is some good summer thunderstorms, but from what I can see on the weather forecast, no chance of that for the moment.

All the best and looking froward to seeing you in late September.

Pam & Bob

#30 little mo

little mo

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:52 AM

On Friday night we had to go to the airport to pick up a friend.We were following a pick-up when the driver tossed his cigarette end out on to the road sending sparks flying into the air. What is the matter with some people,brain dead I think.

#31 Helena Howard

Helena Howard

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:08 AM

Hello
I am shocked to read that maybe this was probably done in the name of greed I saw the terrible news clips on sky tv, of Greece on fire but did not know that it was probably started maliciously:( my heart goes out to all the Greek people, and I hope the perpetrators are caught, and get their just rewards in this lifetime rather than in the next.

#32 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:40 PM

The latest news from the fire front in Greece:

Firefighting forces are on the alert in the Peloponnese as the Mt. Parnonas firefront is still raging. Due to engine failure, one of the Russian helicopters, assigned in the regions firefighting, remains grounded in Kato Dervena near Astros Kynourias. In the meantime ground and air firefighting forces are trying to extinguish a new fire, which burst out in Nyfi in Lakonia, at noon, and is burning low vegetation. EMAK rescue group found the body of a missing 25 year-old at noon today near Artemida village.

A fire that broke out last night, on the island of Corfu, in Podolakos in the Kassopaion municipality is still raging and has burned more than 37 acres of land covered by low vegetation. Another fire broke out near Basilikos municipality in Egoumenitsa. Two Canadair water bombers are participating in firefighting efforts.

High risk of fires
In the meantime, there is high risk of fires today in Kythira, Messinia, Lakonia and Chania.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#33 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

Just past Election Day I am surprised that some things in Greece eventually can be accomplished without the usual siga-siga: According to the Greek online paper www.ekathimerini.com developments in the burned-down areas have already been approved by the local authorities in Zacharo. Illegally built houses can now be approved without much fuss to help the local economy, new minor buildings like snack bars are approved... apparently we are just awaiting that everybody stops speaking about what happened to go on with further developments.

Way to go, guys. You have just proved that arson is the right way to get things happening...

Well, maybe I just wanted to add that if olive trees were growing there before... plant new olive trees.

#34 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:35 PM

Petition for the forest fires in Greece

To: The Greek Parliament,The United Nations,The European Union
I would like you to consider how much damage a fire makes,so everyone will understand and agree with the purpose of this petition.Hundreds of fires the moment we speak destroy our forests and animals that live there.This happens all around the world but this petition is made especially for Greece.Whoever lives in Greece surely knows what has happened the last days.A major number of fires destroyed so many forests which are our last sources of oxygen,but not everyone is responsible for this.So why should they suffer just because of others who do this surely with purpose?Please I ask every single one who reads this petition,no matter from which country he is,to help us DO something about it and give our planet a chance!I hope this petition will be taken into consideration from the competent and help save our forests from elimination.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

SIGN THE PETITION HERE: http://www.petitiono...r/petition.html
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#35 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

Sorry I don't understand what they are petitioning for. Is it to stop fires? Is it to make sure the burnt areas are not turned into concrete? Is it to remove the ministers that didnt protect the forests? Is it to make the punishment for arson, harsher?

The petition needs to be more clearly defined as it doesn't actually petition for anything.

The reason I ask is I cannot sign a petition for something I dont agree with. If its to make sure there is no land usage changes and to financially support the farmers and help them rebuild their olive farms then I am for it. If its to stop fires (as the title suggests to me) then I am not willing to sign it as forest fires are part of the eco system of the planet and we as humans cannot just stop them for our own ends as this also destroys the enviroment. As a brief explanation, certain trees and shrubs need fires to propagate. without the heat they would not be able to sow their seeds and these plants would be lost to history. Fires are natural occurances and generations of plants have evolved to live with and use the fires. What is needed is fire managment so that humans can co-exist with nature and we can help the enviroment with controlled fires. I believe part of why these fires were so bad was because we haven't let the enviroment do its thing in the past few years and the fuel build up was greater than it should of been.

Im sure this petition is done with good intent, but I cannot see how it can achieve anything when it is not specific in its request or solution.

#36 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:47 PM

This is an article I wrote when we originally had the fires before the elections happened:

The recent fires have been shocking and the death toll horrific. The current political parties are busy blaming each other, arsonists, terrorist, or whoever. The apportion of blame is not the important thing here and they are missing the point by a long way.

What they should be doing is saying how they will prevent tragedies in the future. Not the tragedy of fire, a natural and necessary ecological phenomenon, but the tragedy of the loss of human life, homes and livelihoods.

Fires are necessary to forests. Plants regenerate; some even use fires to germinate. Clearing the forest floors allow new saplings to grow and even prevent worse fires. Fires clear out vegetation and plants that are not fire resilient. Mismanagement of the forests leads to the fires being as bad as they were this year. We can’t stifle the fires and put them out for good, we need to learn to live with them.

We need to educate people on how accidental fires are started. Use television. advertising. Make it a social embarrassment to litter and throw cigarettes.
Educate people on how they can give their houses a better chance in a fire; Simple landscaping methods around the house; Clearing of rubbish and dead vegetation; store firewood away from the house and not under it etc. Most homes are inviting fire simply by lack of knowlege on how to protect them.
Enforce existing laws to stop people burning rubbish in the high risk months.

Use controlled fires to burn areas each year to ‘help’ the ecosystem regenerate and remove dead vegetation from forests.
Make all forest land state owned and under the control of the forest services. This will remove the burn to build arson element and protect our forests for our children
Change the laws for construction. Knock down all the illegal buildings. No more amnesties. Bring in laws for quality of fire-retardant material use in all new properties and enforce the laws.
Create landscaped fire resistant areas around villages and disallow all building in those areas. Enforce the law.
Start a project to put all power lines under ground.

Basically spend money on prevention and management that we spend on response. Prevention is better than cure.

The arrest of an arsonist doesn’t stop the fire. It may make someone feel better but it solves nothing. The political parties need to stop blaming each other and criminals and look for solutions that work.

#37 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

Well, Yannis, I must say that I agree with Assim, it is not clear what this petition is about, and as him I would not sign a petition with an unclear message. I can understand that the Greek people must be very upset about what is happening - but a petition to the authorities must have a clear message, a straightforward request, and that is not the case with this particular petition.

Who wrote it originally, where does it come from - and what is it that we are requested to sign?

#38 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:39 PM

The European Parliament

<_<
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#39 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:52 PM

?

<_<

#40 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

Lamenting on this forum is useless. If you want something to change you better write your representatives in the European Parliament. Using a petition can be of help to underline the complaint.

BTW, the petition was organised by:
The Save our forests and give our planet a chance Petition to The Greek Parliament,The United Nations,The European Union was created by and written by Konstantina Stafylaki ([email protected]). This petition is hosted here at www.PetitionOnline.com as a public service. There is no endorsement of this petition, express or implied, by Artifice, Inc. or our sponsors. For technical support please use our simple Petition Help form.

The link to the EP is there to give a democratic (isn't that Greek?) possibilitye to mail your complaint (in)directly to the representatives of Greece.

Did you click both links Dinny? :P

<_<
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."