5 replies to this topic

#1 Ma2

Ma2

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:25 AM

I am visiting Crete for the first time in early October and am interested in Kayaking the coast West of Kissamos. Is this possible? Does anyone know where I might rent a kayak for the day in Hania or Kissamos?

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

I doubt if you will be able to rent a real kayak anywhere in Crete. There are tour operators organising kayak day trips, but in the east part of the island (Elounda bay). There is also an American company doing kayak 1-week tours in southern Crete.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

We met the Americans that Yannis refers to, and their 'victims' (who were thoroughly enjoying kayaking the beautiful south coast) in Loutro three years ago; both they and we were spending the night in that little. I'm sure this a a great way to really expore some genuinely off the beaten path places. They were all bit tired, but very happy!

#4 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:50 PM

I believe that there is a kayak school in Souda where local children are taught to kayak. I don't know if they would rent a kayak out but I can try and find their details if you want.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#5 Ma2

Ma2

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:10 AM

Thank you! That would be great if you could ask at the school for me. I am really not interested in joining a tour, but would like to enjoy the coastline from the water if possible. Efcharisto!

#6 asmar

asmar

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Did you finally manage to do any sea kayaking? I've been paddling a lot around Crete.

Cheers
Stelios A.
climbincrete.com