2 replies to this topic

#1 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

Oh what a fabulous two weeks we had. This time we took the children to see the house in Kokkino Chorio for the first time. While we were there we showed them other properties that we had viewed and they decided we had made the right decision. Met our other neighbours this visit and they seem great and in fact they are back in England sorting out their house before moving permanently in Sept - so we're having them over to dinner here aswell.
Found a beautiful cove where we could snorkel just up the road and will hopefully upload some photos shortly for you to see. It was delightful. B)
We also did about 6 days solid gardening in temperatures of 44 and upwards and our neighbours think we're mad - but we broke the back of the work and are now ready to plant flowers and shrubs on our return in September - can't wait.
Drove for the first time (me!) abroad - and did quite well although car did sustain a slight bump with a boulder outside our house.... ooops!!! ;)
Can anyone tell me - can I take weed-killer to Crete (not in an enormous quantity - just a small box) as I couldn't find any apart from spray on Round-up at the garden centres? Anyone know if this is okay or can recommend a good weed killer I can buy locally? Heard there's going to be a new big garden centre in Plaka in the next couple of months - which will save me time going into Kalives etc. :lol:

#2 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

If you travel by air NO you can not take weed Killer with you. There is no reason anyway because there is plenty of it in Crete. Ask anyone locally for the nearest 'Geoponos'. You will find a range of weed killers (someones you may mix with water depending on the deadly strenghth you want to acheive). Geoponos will advise you for free which one will be the best for your case. You will however pay for the chemical which will destroy the living daylights of all weeds and no weeds where it is applied. Good luck!!!

#3 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Ton. What I was looking for was similar to Path Clear for example. I had asked in a couple of garden centres and they only seemed to have Round Up (in a box which you mix with water then put into a spray). Of course, Round Up is applied directly to the weeds and the poison is taken to the root to kill them. However, we had spent possibly 6 full days overall weeding our garden and digging out poisonous (so we were told) bulbs and getting it all looking fabulous (well for us anyway) and then we shifted 2 huge bags of gravel and laid cloth down first for walk-ways. I just wanted to try to restrict them growing again so fast in my absence for a few months! I'll take your suggestion with us when we next visit and see what I can find. Thanks again.