24 replies to this topic

#21 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

I answer more questions about Crete on another forum than I do here (the people her are more knowledgeable than I for the most part).

I am often asked about the meltemi; and about hotels with pools. There's a huge desire to know where to stay before a flight or ferry from Iraklion, too.
Sheila

#22 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hi Sheila,

I don't understand why a lot of people ask such questions on a forum. By simply using Google or Wikipedia and the search term "Meltemi" you get e.g. this answer from Wiki. You even learn that the Turks call it the Meltemi and the Greeks the Etesian. ;) But that has probably something to do with the Turkish past of the Cretans.

Etesian During the summer in the Aegean Sea, the prevailing winds of the main circulation are due chiefly to the deep continental depression centered over the north-west of India. These winds are known as meltemi by the Turks and etesians by the Greeks. They blow from a direction which may be anywhere between north-east and north-west according to the character of the country surrounding the region concerned; meltemi weather is ordinarily fine and clear, the northerly winds tempering the fierce summer heat of the region.

The same counts for finding a place to stay from whatever airport you want to leave or arrive.
I agree that often forum members have their own favorite places to stay which they found by trying and diving into a little adventure. B) Which I think is half the fun of a holiday.

:lol:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#23 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Blithely ignoring the recent chat about the idea of the 100 Questions, here's another one: namely to explain what the little roadside shrines are for.

Henry.

(PS Most of this forum could be considered superflous in answering any question to a keen or experienced Googler - so let's just stay on track, please).

#24 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:40 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Wim, I think people like to hear from people with direct knowledge and expeience. Any road up, that's what they ask.
Sheila

#25 bobo

bobo

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

Hi Birgit,

Several of my friends and family have travelled to Crete on my suggestion and one query that keeps popping up in various forms regards the language.
The more popular forms are:
1) What words in Greek do I need to know?
2) Do Greeks speak our language ( be it Dutch, English, German etc..)?

My advice to people is always learn please and thank you in the language of whatever country you are visiting and bring a smile :rolleyes: This last is really helpful when you dont know what is being said.

Bobo
"no man goes further than he who knows not where he is going"