#1 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:37 PM

Hello everyone,

Inspired by this great forum and it's wonderful members I will try to make a list of most asked questions. I hope you all will help me. All questions with answers will of course be published here on ExploreCrete.com.

To those who have been to Crete several times and always are ready to answer: Which questions do you think come again and again? Which questions do you often get from friends and family? The answers to all these questions will be welcome, too.

It doesn't matter if the answer to the question already can be found on ExploreCrete.com.

To those who haven't been to Crete or those who still have questions about Crete: ASK! Remember, the only stupid questions are those never asked!

I hope to be able to publish the list in a few months time. It will be on the English and Danish pages first. Anyone volenteer to translate to other languages?

Looking forward to hear from you all.

Birgit

P.S.: The question about the weather will be the first on the list.

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

Will definitely have a think about this and respond, but too tired just now at the end of a working week!

I also look forward to other's responses - so get them coming

Pam

#3 Papous

Papous

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

Hi Birgit

This is quite a brain teaser...
Most of the people I know who visit Crete and enjoyed there staying didn't asked too many questions, just 3 "FAQ's" I can recall

* why are elderly women all dressed up in black?
* why are there a lot of unfinished buildings?
* where can I find "child friendly" accommodations?

Andreas
"?? ???????? ??? ?????? ????? ????"

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:26 AM

Hi Birgit,

The questions I see the most is about transportation: Bus departure/arrival time, routes. Taxi fares. Rent cars and prices.... The answers to these questions in-a-glance would be very welcome I think. :)

#5 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

Thank you for your comments so far.

Papous, your three questions have been added to the list.
Dinny, several questions about transportation have been added, too.

I have done some reading of the forum - about 1 year back- and I found some questions (with answers) which means the list already consists of more than 30 questions.

Yannis is waiting for "our list" to publish it - with correct answers of course. So please keep answering!

Birgit

#6 Antero

Antero

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:44 PM

A real good idea !

I think ; most of the common questions had been asked and answered
several times .

But ; we should " fresh up " answers reguraly - keep them up to date !

András
András

#7 zany

zany

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

in the transportation category: how long it takes to drive from various places (to know if you can fit it in)
in the weather category i think water temperature/beach conditions would be good.
maybe a question about what types of things to pack?

#8 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:51 PM

To Andras: Thank you for the reminder. I will do my best to make an update at least once a year.

Zany: Thank you for you suggestions. The following questions are included:
How will the weather be?
Will I need rain clothes?
Will I need sweaters and jeans?
Do you have more questions about things to pack?

Distances between the biggest cities are now included and also a link to the beach guide on ExploreCrete.

Birgit

#9 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

Bus schedules for Crete

Though I thought this bus schedule item has been mentioned somewhere in one of the thousands of threads, I couldn't find it by using the search bar on top to the right of the starting page of this forum.

Actually it should be on the cover of the site. Don't you think so, Yannis :)

An other thing is, Birgit, that whatever info thread you start it will be abused by guests and members by using it as a chat thread :D ,though I must say that the Visits For 2007 one is almost free of it.

Which means that it can be done if you clearly point out where it's about and why it should only be used for that purpose only and by eventually threatening them with a single trip to the leper colony at Kalidona if they dare to abuse it :)

:D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#10 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

I agree with you Wim. :)

Most people also seem to ask about certain Hotels/Apartments, if those people that have previously visited Crete wrote a review about the accomodation they stayed in, it would build up a comprehensive list all by it's self.

:) :D
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#11 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:13 PM

Hi Birgit,I think some frequently asked questions include:
Accomodations
best beaches
best naturist beaches
Car-hire,driving in Crete,
Boat trips
Places suitable for children

I think another useful one to add,would be places that are suitable for dissabled people.
after which we move into more specific areas of taste,i.e.,quite places,villages,live music,dancing,traditional activities etc.
Good idea,best of luck with it.Steve.B

#12 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

Hello friends,

Once again - wonderful response and I will use it all.

But you are wrong about preparing any new threads with "answers to 100 questions". It will some kind of article. How it will be done is entirely up to Yannis.

In this thread I only ask for suggestions and we are already more than half way. To be honest I didn't think there ever would be 100 FAQ's .... Now I am worried about how to limit it to "only" 100 ....

Keep asking and you will soon see the result.

Thank you
Birgit

#13 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

One way this could be controlled would be to have it as a read only section and only added to via Yannis or the moderator's.
One other thought is that within some of the items there could be links to expand more info if necessary.
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#14 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:15 AM

Birgit

Under transport, don't forget to include the train timetable!

http://www.geocities...oudi/trains.htm

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#15 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

John your not refering to the old joke about "Cretan railways" are you?i.e.donkeys!

#16 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:35 PM

A few words to the uninitiated about towels (you really must bring your own for beach and pool use), and of course the whole toilet experience may not go amiss! Not that I would want to put potential visitors to Greece off the idea, of course!

Henry.

#17 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

I keep on asking myself why not give more attention to the existing search bar on the forum main page.
If that one functions properly you need not start a top 100 item on whatever page.
Unless, of course, its intended for statistical sake or dummies.

E.g. wondering if you have to take a raincoat with you in August:
Yes; if you want to play an exhibitionist. :lol:

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#18 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

I don't really understand the criticism of a page, thread ,article or some other format concerning the top 100 (or more questions) Surely one of the main purposes of this site is to be helpful in offering knowledge and advice.
In my experience, there are always at least two ways of doing anything with computers - why should there only be one route to the top 100 FAQ's. If the information is in a form that helps folk then that is fine to my mind- however it is presented.

#19 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

Well put Tim!
Keep up the good work Birgit!!
Maybe your question nr 100 will be:
Is it a good idea to bring a raincoat in August if I am an exhibitionist?
Who know.

s
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#20 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

What I actually meant to say, and what you both of course understood, is what happens if your question isn't covered by the 100 questions.
Which could bring one to the first of the 100 questions: what if your question isn't coverd by the next 99. Answer: go to the search bar at the main forum page. :D

But if you mean that these 100 question are meant for visitors who haven't a clue what to ask for than I agree with the idea and think its wonderful. But bare in mind that one have to read allmost all questions to find out if there is one that covers yours. Which means that you have to subdevide the questions in several devisions, they call that deeplinking. It might even bring you to the Google search bar :lol:

Two of the most important elements of a good working website are: tactility and instinctivity. If you have to linger to long on a page before finding what you want 90% of the visitors abandon the site and go to another one or worse; they start a new threat on the forum B)

TEST THIS: 100 QUESTIONS ABOUT CRETE BY USING AN ULTRA DEEP LINK

;)

B)