#1 Sarah

Sarah

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

Hi All,

My husband and I have just booked our first holiday to crete, leaving in a few weeks. My husband loves boats and I'd like to arrange a boat trip or two for him as a surprise. Is there anywhere you'd recommend I could do this? Would I have to book in advance do you think or could we just turn up? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, could I hire a boat for ourselves or would we have to be chaperoned?

#2 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:09 PM

Sarah,boat trips depends on where you are staying?In the east there are trips to Chrissi island from Irapetra,to Spinalonga from Elounda and Ag.Nik,or in the west to Gramavousa from Kissamos,or for a day trip ,there are boats to Santorini,but thats far cheaper to book from Heraklion rather than the Holiday reps trips!
I think you will be lucky to hire a boat for yourselves in Crete though,but PLEASE,hire a car and explore,its the only way to get the best of Crete!

#3 Sarah

Sarah

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

Hi steve, thanks very much for your reply. We're staying in Hersonissos so I suppose that we'd be looking at going from Irapetra or Ag.Nik? We've sorted out our hire car already as although I like a bit of lazing on the beach I'm definately an explorer!
:)

#4 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

You will find there are a few trips from Hersonissos, you will need to check them out when you get there. If you are on a package holiday trip not to book them via the reps. A walk around the harbour will find possibly the best prices.

If you are looking to chill out on the beach try Meltimi Beach which is at the Eastern end of town.
Ian

#5 antreas

antreas

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:40 PM

People also take the boat and go in other islands.
You should check that when you arrive there.
Antreas.