• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:03 AM

I have just read the latest Crete Gazette, as always full of interesting material. One item was of particular interest to me as it concerns a place is close to my heart.
My first night in Crete, in 1990, was spent in wha I thought was Keratokambos, but later learned was Kastri. It was an easy mistake to make as most would assume that the collection of properties on that stretch of the southern close was one village. I was certainly not the first to fail to realise that many of the properties on the west side of the village are in fact in Kastri, I read a report in the UK National Archives in which Paddy Leigh Fermor no less, points out that the maps were wrong, and that all to the west of the stream at (he gave a map ref) were Kastri and not Keratokambos. (There were not that many mas that showed Keratokambos let alone Kastri!)
In 1990, the road down from the mountains was a frightening dirt track. I remember that deliveries to the villages were infrequent, we had to wait several days for freshly baked bread to be delivered. But the locals were amongst the best in Crete and I have had many a wonderful time there (usually with Giorgos and Maria at Taverna Kreta)
Having a new doctor in the village in the village is a measure of how the place has grown and changed. I hope though that my friends there do not have too much need of the new and welcome service.
Tim

#2 armando

armando

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

Hallo Tim
I was there in september :D

Posted Image

I went there the first time in 1982 with a friend by car, and the following year in motorbike with my girlfriend (now is my wife); we had a home rent in Keratokampo but spend so much time in Kastri at the tavern of Manolis (unfortunately dead two years ago: now his son Nectarios owns the tavern). I know also Giorgo, as may be you remember.
One spot in which we went often in that years was the beach after the actual new Church, another was Listis. I remember very well some dinners without bread, because the bus driver had a free day! :D
Really the place changed so much (o chronos pernai grigora ), mostly in the last years as new houses are raising everywhere .. anyway it has always "something magic" for us :D
The last week end my wife and me went near Aachen (Germany) for the birthday party of our friend Volker, a real lover of Kastri (see his site www.emporia.de) that we knew there in Crete some years ago.
May be next days we'll return to Keratokampo for a very short trip ... I'll bring your greetings to Giorgo :D

All the best
Armando

#3 armando

armando

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

That's the topic:

Posted Image

Geia sas
A.

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

I see a bag full of oranges. Do they offer fresh orange juice to the patients?
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 armando

armando

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

Do they offer fresh orange juice to the patients?

May be .. or may be the patients pay the doctor fee with fruit! :D
(.. in Arvi with bananas) ^_^