6 replies to this topic

#1 redape

redape

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:47 PM

I have just returned from a most enjoyable 6 weeks on Crete. My wife and I spent some time touring then she had to return to UK. So most of the time was spent on doing maintance to the house. My concern is the sea of plastic that covers the land from Ierapetra almost to Myrtos. Looking down on the coast from the road above (Anatoli to Males), it looks terrible, and friends tell me the chemicals being used is poisoning the land. I have raised this point before but this plastic sea seems out of control, cant something be done in the way of legislation :P . Red

#2 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

I would suggest that you write to The Minister for Tourism. Something along the lines of:

Dear Sir,

I have just spent 6 weeks in Crete and was very dissappointed to find that the local population insist on continuing to try and earn a living by growing those big tomatoes under polythene. This rebellion against tourism seems to be getting out of hand.

Although these "growers" have been there for over 100 years, since the Dutch first came to the island, do they not realise that Crete now exists just for tourists? If they must persist in working to feed their families could they not be persuaded to at least wear national dress while working as they would look so much better in my holiday photographs? The use of an occasional donkey would also be welcome and would give a Cretan atmosphere to the area.

The Cretans could learn a lot from the U.S.A. When I visited Disneyland everything was perfect. No industry, no agriculture, lots of happy smiling faces and even those who had to work dressed up in fancy outfits. It was just like fairyland!

Come on Crete, this is the twenty-first century, import you tomatoes from Spain like Tesco does, (theirs are graded by size and look so much neater in my salads,) and preserve "the real Crete" for visitors.

Yours etc.

(Sorry Yannis - am I still a member?)
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#3 Papous

Papous

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:45 AM

What, dear Retired in Crete, were you really thinking whilst adding your comment? To express concerrn sarcasem and irony works for a comedian, guess you're not Eddy Murphy so stick to the point, and please give the man some useful advise instead of making the Creten people the laughing stock of in many cases illiterate and anti social tourists.. Which they endure by the way.
"?? ???????? ??? ?????? ????? ????"

#4 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

Papous,

I had no intention of "making the Creten people the laughing stock" and fail to see how you came to this conclusion. I have the utmost admiration and respect for the people of my adopted home.

The whole point of my comments was that Crete is home to 600,000 people who, just like people the world over, need to have employment and places of work cannot always be picturesque.

As for giving "usefull advice", I can only suggest that if Redape does not like a particular area he sticks to visiting the areas which cater for tourists or, if he wants perfection, visits Disneyland.

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#5 Nita

Nita

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

Well said John.

#6 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:18 PM

I would be more concerned of the water and soft drink plastics all over the streets in Crete which are thrown from cars by both locals and tourists.
I agree with redape about some form of legislation concerning the chemicals applied for all those plastic/glass houses. Fish is scarce and expensive in Crete because of all these chemicals applied for local agriculture which throuh out the years have ended up in the sea destroying the regeneration of fish. The tomatoes which we are now eating in Crete are tastless. Last year in Germany and Switzerland all the grapes from Messara were returned and not accepted for local consumption because they found high concentration of pestacides on them.

#7 Papous

Papous

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hi John

Reading this topic again, your reply in particular, there's but only one thing I can do and that's apologize. I completely missed the point of of your proposed "letter to the etc. " How ignorant can one be..

truly sory

Andreas
"?? ???????? ??? ?????? ????? ????"