7 replies to this topic

#1 Nita

Nita

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

Just to say hello, have recently found this forum and after a bit of lurking decided to join in.

Sorry Wim, just read your recent post, don't think you or anyone else wants to see a photo! You'll just have to use your imagination - usually far more interesting than reality.

I first visited Crete in 1998 and, like many others, instantly fell in love with the island etc. Then followed a number of years flying back and forth, three and even four times a year. Finally in September 2004 I bought a one-way ticket and settled in Agia Marina. My personal journey since then has been interesting. Yes I did have a few wobbly days when I was ready to pack everything up and go back to the UK, guess this is normal, but I have no regrets.

Now following your suggestions:
Cat - no.
Dog - yes, Charlie a Jack Russell cross, therefore crazy but adorable, naturally he is bilingual - something I'm working on and now have lessons but it's an uphill struggle, fortunately have passed the stage of only being able to talk about the weather! Charlie by the way was a rescue dog - someone left him on the steps leading to my apartment, clearly they knew a crazy Brit was in residence!
Favourite Food - anything provided it's washed down with a nice glass (or two) of local krasi.
Lover/s - I never kiss and tell.
Husband - (Ex) you don't want to know!
Milkman - do they have such a thing here?
Postman - ah now there are many stories I could impart about the postie. However, as he has finally remembered where I live and started to actually deliver to my house, as opposed to leaving it with neighbours, at the Kafenio or returning it to the Post Office (in Platanias) for my collection, I will keep quiet.

Will consider the other categories for possible inclusion at another time.

Finally, to keep me out of mischief, I work part-time as a hotel receptionist, part-time in a friends shop and have just finished writing a novel which is now with the pubilshers.

#2 Lesley

Lesley

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:12 AM

Hi Nita
I have 3 dogs, Japanese Akita's. My partner and I will be travelling overland with them - that'll be fun........
How interesting...what's your novel about?
Lesley

#3 Nita

Nita

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

Hi Lesley

Nice to meet a fellow doggie person - good luck with the journey, sounds preferable to a flight though, for the dogs at least!

The book was recently described, by the editor / proof-reader as a romantic mystery without the 'happy ever after' ending! I've got my feet firmly on the ground about this project, not expecting it to turn into a best seller, it's just been fun to try something new and different. Although if Hollywood should approach me I hope Johnny Depp will be available for the male lead :D

Nita

#4 Lesley

Lesley

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

Well Nita, when your book is actually printed and in the book store you can count on 1 sale - you'll have to let us all know the title and when it will be in the shops, And hey, you never know about the 'best seller'. Must be a great feeling knowing that your a published author (or is it authoress???)
I used to work in the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool in the residents bar, I could tell a few stories, bet you have also seen a few sights in the hotel you work at eh?

#5 Nita

Nita

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

Lesley thanks for your support, it's appreciated. It wasn't my intention to use this forum as a book-publicity tool. For that matter I only added that at the end thinking that if anyone actually read the post they would have nodded off well before reaching the final paragraph! Having noted your comment I will, therefore, at the appropriate time, add a website link within my profile.

Oh boy, could I tell some stories and not just from the hotel. Have had one or two surprise sightings whilst walking the dog in the mountain foothills. People really ought to be more careful, especially in a village where everybody knows everybodies' business and inventively fill in the missing gaps.

#6 Lesley

Lesley

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

My partner Harry & I plan to be moved over lock , stock & 3 dogs.. by September so maybe we can get together & swap some funny stories over a (few)bottle's of wine. Don't think I'll be the one that gets the surprise whilst walking our dogs, can you imagine looking up to see a (very) big wolf like dog standing over you......the mind boggles(LOL)especially if it's Princess because she insists on giving everyone she meets a washso, watch this space.....

#7 Nita

Nita

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:00 PM

Keep us all posted on how your move goes, where you finally settle here in Crete and good luck.

#8 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hi Nita,

I had fun reading your description of the must-tell-in-profile! :D I didn't catch how long time you have been living here, but I did recognize the moment where you just want to pack and get away. Fortunately, it's passed and over before you even get to the suitcase, right?

All the best with your novel, it is really exciting to write and have somebody publish it. And even when it's not published it's fun writing anyway (IMHO).

Dinny