#1 Robin

Robin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:09 AM

Hi,

I am a new member and will be in Crete for 6 days at the end of June before I head off to Kasos and need advice on where I should go. This will be my second visit. The first time I went to Chania and Sougia.

I'm looking for something that's not too touristy and still retains a local feel. A nice beach would be great as well. I will not have a car and since I'm on a limited budget will need to get there by bus. I'm thinking about Sitia, Kato Zakros or Itaonos.

I'm arriving by ferry to Heraklion and will be leaving from the airport in Sitia.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robin

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

Hi, Robin welcome to the forum. We've only been to Sitia area once last year and did enjoy it. We visited Kato Zakros and it is a lovely position and of course the archaological site is fascinating. However, there are only a few rooms available and NO shopping facilities, so any provisions you need will need to be brought in - there are a few tavernas, but we weren't impressed by the prices or quality.

Sitia is a nice city, with a reasonable beach - could be worth a couple of nights. Also, you might like to consider Paleokastro, which is a busy Greek village, but plenty of rooms to stay in and only a half hour walk to a very pleasant little beach with a couple of tavernas. It was very quiet when we were there and I was the only person swimming.

A more touristy option would be Makrigialos, which has a lovely beach and some good tavernas and bars on the beach.

Sorry, don't know Itanos at all.

Pam & Bob

#3 Robin

Robin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:05 PM

Dear Pam and Bob,

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to know if Paleokastro is reachable by bus from Heraklion? Also, do you think I should try to book a room before I arrive at end of June or will I be able to find affordable lodging when I arrive.

Thanks,
Robin

#4 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

Buses certainly go through Paleakastro, but I imagine you would need to change at Sitia. I would say end of June should be no problem getting a room - there is a tourist information office there with details of accommodation.

Let us know how you get on!

Pam & Bob