3 replies to this topic

#1 foggy11

foggy11

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:10 PM

Hi guys,headin over to crete for the first time with my girlfriend on the 16th of October,what i would like to know is whats the weather like over there at that time of year. Ive heard so many different things,ive even heard of storms and pouring rain at that time so i would like someone whos had first hand experience to inform me of the weather,also any other info would be apprecited,cheers

Colin

#2 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Hi Colin,

Normally I would say that the weather here in October is wonderful, because it is not too hot but the sea will be warm and lovely to swim in. You might get the occasional shower.

Normally I would assure you that the weather in May is fantastic, warm but not too warm, cold sea, but sunshine every day. The last few weeks have proven me wrong. We have had very cloudy weather, even days in a row with pouring rain, several thunderstorms. Most tourists have been absolutely nauseated by the weather these last few weeks. Maybe they have left now when we are back to warm sunshine and a lot of strong wind to keep the clouds away...

So what can we say about the weather? Only one thing for sure: that it is unpredictable!

Enjoy your first vacation in Crete - you'll be forever hooked, whatever the weather! :rolleyes:

#3 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Hi Colin,
I've had several holidays in Crete late September/October time. The weather is normally warm & sunny, however you can expect the odd cloudy/rainy day. When it does rain, boy does it rain!!!, however it's often only for an hour or so, or during the night. Summer clothes are fine for this time of year but I would recommend a cardigan/jumper or a light jacket for the evening, just in case. A lot of the bars & tavernas by the sea ar partly open air & the sea breeze can have a slight chill.
I've never failed to come home without a good tan. The weather on the south of the island is probably slightly better at this time of year.
My advice would be to hire a car & on the odd off day go sightseeing.
This year I'm not arriving until the 29th October & I will definitely have my bikini etc with me!
Ros.

#4 foggy11

foggy11

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:24 AM

Many thanks for the comments guys, so basically i can expect the good weather but also the possibility of the odd shower now and again,thats suits me just fine because im not a big fan off too much heat :rolleyes: , also it will be jut like back home here where theres plenty off showers. Thanks again and hopefully between now and then ill getting chatting with you and find out more about crete.